Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 1 hp motor problem

1 hp motor problem

I have a reliant 6" jointer with a 1hp motor. It was set up for 110V when I bought it new about 8 or 9 years ago. I put 220 in my garage, so I rewired the motor to run on 220. Everything was fine until we moved and it sat for a year or so. My new garage didnt have 220, so I rewired it for 110v. Since then, the motor starts a little slow, then bogs down pretty easily when feeding stock, even on a very light cut. So I ran a 220 line to my garage, switched the jointer back over to 220, and turned on the machine to a horrific sound that could best be described as something that was getting ready to blow up. I checked my wiring and tried again, same deal. So i wired it back to 110 and its back to the slow startup and bogging down. Does anyone have any ideas what it could be? I was thinking capacitor but it does start and Im not sure that explains the bogging problem. Harbor freight has a 1.5 hp motor that would work, but if its something simple, I would just as soon fix it myself. My table saw and bandsaw are running fine on the new 220 line.

Thanks

I could be wrong, but it sounds to me like it is just not wired correctly. On 110V it probably is only running on one of the two 110V windings causing the slow startup or the motor could be connected for 220V and only 110V is being applied to it. On 220V it is also probably running with the motor connected for 110V causing the motor to go crazy.

Carefully check the connection diagram on the motor.

It would be helpful if you could post a picture of the motor nameplate or give me the model number of the motor.
    Last edited by Ralph Barhorst; 06-15-2010 at 11:20 AM.
    Tipp City, Ohio

Are there any spade connectors crimped onto the end of the wires? If so. there may be a bad connection that affects the 110 and 220 operation.

Do you have other motors that work fine in your garage?

I am unable to run tools (such as a bandsaw) from my garage because thewiring is too small and to far from the circuit breaker.

Bill

Thanks guys for the responses. Im out of town for a few days and wont be able to get back to the machine until thursday. However, i remember that the motor says made in taiwan and I do not recall a model number, other than its a 1hp induction motor. Both my table saw and band saw have gone from 110 (when I bought them) to 220 to 110 (when I moved to my new garage) then back to 220 with no problems. When I get back, Ill doublecheck all the connectors to make sure nothing is loose or touching another wire. I hope its something simple. New small HP motors arent all that expensive, but I do have better things to spend money on...

Thanks again

I'm with Ralph. It is easy to connect the wrong numbered wires when changing from 115v to 230v and back again. The connection between eyes and brain can play tricks, standing on one's head in a confined space!

I had the same symptoms as you, with a real nice Rockwell 1.5hp TEFC motor bought off eBay. I checked my connections a second time, with same bad results, and was ready to complain to the seller!!! Next day (when I was fresh) I re-traced every connection and found I had two wires transposed!!! When I wire-nutted the correct wires, the motor Hummmms as it's supposed to on 230V.
    [/SIGPIC]Necessisity is the Mother of Invention, But If it Ain't Broke don't Fix It !!

Red face You too, huh?

Quote Originally Posted by Chip Lindley View Post
    I'm with Ralph. It is easy to connect the wrong numbered wires when changing from 115v to 230v and back again. The connection between eyes and brain can play tricks, standing on one's head in a confined space!

I had the same symptoms as you, with a real nice Rockwell 1.5hp TEFC motor bought off eBay. I checked my connections a second time, with same bad results, and was ready to complain to the seller!!! Next day (when I was fresh) I re-traced every connection and found I had two wires transposed!!! When I wire-nutted the correct wires, the motor Hummmms as it's supposed to on 230V.
    It's just annoying to go back to some work I did previously and ask "now why did I do that?"

I used to have a sign in my shop:

"Those Of You Who Think You Know Everything Are Very Annoying To Those Of Us Who Do!"

I took it down because now I can't Remember Everything I Know!! At the least, Instant Recall is long gone!
    [/SIGPIC]Necessisity is the Mother of Invention, But If it Ain't Broke don't Fix It !!

Redid the connections to make it 220 again to try it in case I messed some connections up earlier. Turned it on to that awful sound and it blew the breaker. Only tried running for about 2 seconds before it blew. I took the cover off the capacitor and it was hot, considering it only ran for 2 seconds before popping the breaker.

Heres what I am working with...

Could it be the capacitor? it will start the motor (though it does start slowly), but it boggs down bad when feeding stock.

When the motor is winding down, did it have an audible click when it's almost wound down? If it did, pull the back end of the motor off, look for points where several wires connect on the piece of flat round fiberglass. If you see points, see if you can seperate them by pushing or pulling on them.... If they don't, and your capacitor is good, that's your problem.... Seperate them, dress the points like you would on an old car, using a thin file, put the back back on the motor and see if it starts. If it just hums, it might be your capacitor. I know you know Eggsakilly what I'm describing, so I have faith in you with this little problem......Jerry (in Tucson)

What Jerry said. If all connections are correct, a faulty start winding *switch* can blow the breaker as you discribe. Unless the capacitor is melted or exploded, doubtful that it is bad yet.

(Some disassembly required, but worth it!) Once you have the fan-end of your motor disassembled, check that the centrifugal switch slides up and down the shaft under spring tension. You will see how the contacts on the plastic sleeve fly outward to break contact as the motor revs to full speed. Long-term use can cause arcing, and allow these contacts to weld to the other half on the motor. The sleeve may only be stuck, and not free to slide. IF, for either reason, these start-winding contacts are stuck together, the motor keeps running with the start winding engaged, draws excess amperage, and blows the breaker.

Do as Jerry suggested, and dress the contacts with a fine file. Clean off the shaft with rag moistened with mineral spirits. When dry, a shot of dry lubricant such as Teflon on the shaft where the plastic contact sleeve slides, may keep things sliding nicely. Never use an oily lube (WD40) inside the motor, as it may only cause more problems. Operate the sleeve several times to see that it slides freely up and down the shaft before closing up the motor.

Re-assemble, and try your motor again. There's a good chance it will run as intended now! Good Luck.

jerry and chip, thanks. The centrifigal switch seems to be operating correctly. I do hear the click when the motor is winding down. I took it apart to here:

Moved the switch up and down a few times and it moves freely:

I reassembled and tried it again. It blew the circuit again. I checked the capacitor and it was very hot considering the motor only ran for a second or two before popping the breaker. Do I need to go further into the motor than this? I guess thats my next step...I cant break it any more than its already broken...

James, looks like the centrifugal switch is working properly.

Next step is to try a different capacitor. If you have another 1hp motor around, you could swap caps. to test on your motor. Otherwise, buying a cap. from a motor shop or electronics supply won't be much of a financial blow. Take the cap with you so they can match the mfd. value and voltage. Use a screwdriver to short the two terminals on the cap. so nobody will get a nasty discharge jolt. Make sure the new cap. is same size and will fit inside the metal cover on your motor.
    Last edited by Chip Lindley; 06-18-2010 at 4:36 AM.

How about the Bearings? Will the motor turn freely by hand with no roughness in the bearings or binding?
    "Some Mistakes provide Too many Learning Opportunities to Make only Once".

Norman,

Yes, the motor turns freely and smoothly. No odd sounds that would lead me to beleive the bearing are bad. I can spin it by hand and it makes a couple of revolutions.

Chip,

Ill take the capacitor and head to a motor shop. Thanks for your help everyone.

James, I would replace the capacitor if you are absolutly sure you have all the wires in the proper order???........ Jerry