Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Veritas Planes

Veritas Planes

On another thread, I was asking how to spend some money...narrowing it down a bit.

For a smoother - #4, low angle smoother or BU smoother? Looks like the footprints are about the same (10" x 2"), and the prices are similar (with the BU smoother the most pricey). Seems like the BU is more versatile, but what is the big difference between it and the low angle smoother?

Also, it seems like the Veritas planes are about 2/3 the cost of equivalent LN. If budget is limited, any reason not to go Veritas (other than wantin to stay on the mailing list as it is my primary source of bathroom reading)?

Thoughts?
    Last edited by John Adam; 06-15-2010 at 12:38 PM. Reason: clarification

One of the smoothers uses the same blades as the other two bevel-up planes. I think it is the one they call "bevel-up", but I could be wrong. I have all three of these planes and several different blades that I can switch between them. I don't use them much, but sometimes they are just the ticket, especially with the adjustable mouths. I'd use them more if I didn't have other planes that are already set up without having to switch blades. I think the bevel-up smoother, jack and jointer, with the different bevel angles and the toothed blade are a very useful combination.

However, I also have a Veritas 5 1/4 that I really like because of the Norris-style adjuster, which their other bevel-down planes also utilize. The way the frog attaches to the top of the tote makes for a really different feel that took me a long time to get used to but that I have grown to love.

I think the fit and finish of the Veritas planes is every bit as good as the Lie-Nielsen. They don't have the "bling" factor of all the brass and bronze, but the quality is there. Other than an objective judgment of quality, I don't think the two are comparable. They are apples and oranges. I have several of each and like both equally.

Blog Entries
    Let me start with the last question first.

The only reason in my mind is if one maker's plane fits your hand or use style better than the other maker.

Most of my preference has been old Stanley/Bailey planes except the three planes purchased from LN that are demonstrably cheaper or better than the Stanley/Bailey originals.

My opinion is that Veritas (Lee Valley) planes are every bit as high quality as the LN planes. They are just a different design.

As to the difference between the Bevel-Up Smoother and the Low Angle Smoother from Veritas looking at the information on their site indicates the blade is wider than on the Low Angle Smoother and the body is "coffin shaped." The site also says, "We have dubbed this plane a 164-1/2 H." This most likely refers to a plane Stanley made and is now made by Lie-Nielsen, the #164. The "-1/2H" signifies a wider plane and heavier body.

The Low angle smoother is a 2 inch blade and has flat sides which gives it an advantage if you need a plane for use on a shooting board.

Incase anyone is curious, my Lie-Nielsen planes are a #1, #62 and a #60-1/2 bought in that order. All three are work to or better than my expectations.

Other than being a satisfied customers of both of the vendors mentioned, there are no other affiliations between them and myself.

jim
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Blog Entries
    They don't have the "bling" factor of all the brass and bronze, but the quality is there.
    In my opinion, the iron castings look better. If they are available in iron, that is my preference.

jim
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."

Jim what do you use the #1 for? I thought they were mostly decorative in nature.

Rick

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Rick Rutten View Post
    Jim what do you use the #1 for? I thought they were mostly decorative in nature.

Rick
    No, they were not made to be decorations on a Christmas tree or a mantle. Though, there are surely a lot of people who would have ear to ear smiles if they woke up one morning to see such a decoration.

For small work, they can not be beat. I often use them on a cabinet to align the front of a shelf with an edge or other small trim jobs. For me, they are often easier to use one handed than most block planes. They are also good for those times where there is just a dime sized area of tear out.

Just a day or two ago, I was having one of my daughters shave the edges of some pieces that were of lengths of about 4 to 10 inches and only a 1/4 inch wide. The #1 was the perfect plane for her to use. She is in her late 30s, so it has nothing to do with her small hands.

jim

Thanks.
    Rick

Quote Originally Posted by John Adam View Post
    For a smoother - #4, low angle smoother or BU smoother?

If budget is limited, any reason not to go Veritas
    Hi John-

Boxers or briefs?

Passionate devotees for both, quoting comfort, "feel", appearance, etc.

High-quality work can be done with all the choices you list, so you can't go wrong.

In general, the wood won't know if the plane is bevel-up or bevel-down; it just sees a sharp edge at a given angle.

If possible, find a show nearby where you can "test drive" the LV hardware before buying.

You really can't go "wrong" within the framework you have laid out, but you may decide after a while that a different option appeals to you. The LN stuff is probably easier to resell, and seems to sell for near-new prices if in good shape and lightly used. So that may be a factor for some.

A year from now, you won't remember what you paid for the tools. And while the LN stuff is more expensive than LV, both are a significant investment. So I would suggest that you not use cost when you make your decisions; buy what you think will put the biggest smile on your face, factoring in ALL the considerations (how they work, how they feel in your hand, how they look, etc).

Enjoy the journey...

-TH

Blog Entries
    I can somewhat speak to this. I have a LN in a 3 and 4 1/2. These were purchased in the last year but I have had a LV Low Angle Smoother for about three or four. I love the LNs, but must admit that they don't out perfrom the Veritas.

The more I use the LV, the more I like it. It isn't fussy to set up, the blade sharpens well and it gives shavings I can read newsprint through without a problem.

For awhile, I felt that I should have gotten the Bevel Up Smoother which has a wider blade that interchanges with the BU Jack and Jointer. I'm sure I'd be happy with that too, but since I have a 3 and 4 1/2, the LA Smoother fits between them much like a #4. It works perfect on a shooting board and I like it enough that I'm about to spring for a LV BU Jointer. I have a #7, that basically does the job, but if the Jointer is anything like the LA Smoother, I'm going to be very happy with it and jettison the #7.
    Last edited by Don Dorn; 06-15-2010 at 11:10 PM. Reason: Decided to utilize some punctuation for easier reading!

The Veritas BU smoother is quite a nice tool. I have one and it's as high a quality plane as you'll get from anyone. Okay, maybe you can buy a REALLY nice smoother from one of the boutique plane makers for many thousands of dollars, but for normal folk to Veritas is as nice as you'll get anywhere. I also have their low angle block plane and feel the same way about that. I also have a LN Jointer, Jack and model maker's, and feel the same way about them.

It's really hard to go wrong with Veritas or LN.

The day I went to buy my #4 LN, all they had was the bronze. I often worry about scratching it and that just isn't right! I love the thing to death, but a LV BU smoother is on my list too, but a jointer is next on the list. LV or LN? I have no idea.

Below is a link to my review of the Veritas (LV) LA Smoother. In this is a comparison with the BU Smoother.

http://www.inthewoodshop.com/ToolRev...g%20Plane.html

Regards from Perth

Derek

Blog Entries
    Derek,

I just pushed the button on a LV BU Jointer this morning based on your review (and the quality of my own LA Smoother).

It's little wonder that they like your reviews. Looking forward to it, and am sure that I'll like it. Thanks for a comprehensive review.

Don

Wow!

Thanks for all the feedback...I guess I have to make a decision now....

One difference between the BU and LA smoother is that the BU has a 2 1/4" inch blade and the LA has a 2" blade. The 2 1/4" blade is interchangeable with the BU jointer and jack planes.The BU smoother is also a bit wider.
    Last edited by Steve Milito; 06-16-2010 at 12:51 PM.