Thread: Bench Upgrade

Bench Upgrade

Well, after finishing a previous project, I got tired of my chisels rolling around on the top, and i could just envision one of them rolling off onto the concrete floor, so I made an upgrade to the bench this past weekend

Before and after pictures. Was a short project, and i took the time to also reflatten the top. Some planes and muscle, and good as new.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Grady - "Thelma, we found Dean's finger"
    Thelma - "Where is the rest of him?!"

Very nice Alex. I too have been thinking of doing the same to the top on mine. Could really use that cubby hole sometimes. Great work, hope you get enjoyment and use out of it.
    I'm a Joe of all trades. It's a first, it'll catch on.

Alex, that looks great! Also, looks like a lot of work, but well worth it. I really enjoy the recess in my bench, though it also collects dust and shavings that can be a pain to get out. Can't brush them out very easily.

John, it actually took maybe 5-6 hours to add the sides. I spent just about as much time re-leveling the top as i did adding the tray.

I also sloped the tray ends to 45 degrees, so i can brush up and out easily any dust, or small pieces can be more easily grabbed, and not caught in a corner.

Looks good Alex.
    I have a small assembly table directly behind my bench that I put all the hand tools on when working on the bench.
    Looks like the clamp collection has grown quite a bit too.

Quote Originally Posted by alex grams View Post
    I also sloped the tray ends to 45 degrees, so i can brush up and out easily any dust, or small pieces can be more easily grabbed, and not caught in a corner.
    Good idea!! I often have the air hose close to the lathe for clean out and clean up, so I will blow the dust out of mine if I have a breeze flowing thru the shop!!

Did you change size?

Alex, I am also thinking about doing the same. Did you add to the width of the top to accomplish this or just remove what was already there?
    Gig 'em
    Tom

2 Chronicles 7:14

I added the width to the bench overall. It makes the top stick out a little further where the tray is, so if i put a good amount of weight on it (IE:me, 230+lbs, I could tilt the table) but the tray will never hold that much weight on that side, as all work will be done on the opposite side.

It was much easier than I anticipated.

Good for you! A few bench gurus lift their noses at tool trays, and the masses parrot them without thinking, but I think its all nonsense. The old, "You will clamp down something over the tools you need" or it's just a place to collect chips... and so on are knee-jerk responses. I don't have one and I want one bad. Rob Cossman always seems to use his and that's good enough for me.

Nice upgrade to your bench Alex.
    I too have a tool tray and use it all the time.
    Mine has a few pieces that make up the bottom of the tray.
    Makes clean up of it a snap. And allows me to use a clamp to hold things down if needed.