Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Butcher Blocks I recently completed...

Butcher Blocks I recently completed...

I've been working on these two butcher blocks off and on for the past 6 weeks or so. I'm extremely happy with how both of them turned out. The tile looking one is made of birch (tiles) with mahogany (grout). The stand is also birch with mahogany inlays on the legs. It measures about 21"x33"x36" tall and weighs in at about 150 lbs or so. The top is just over 3" thick.

The second butcher block stand is birch, wrapped with mahogany, which is then wrapped with 1/8" thick cherry. The top on it is about 2 1/8" thick, measures about 20"x30"x36" tall. The stand is made entirely of birch and weighs about 100lbs or so.

Both bases are finished with my own special blend finish of Mineral Spirits, Polyurethane, Boiled Linseed Oil and Tung Oil. I applied 5 coats to each base and had to wait about 24 hours in between for each coat to dry along with a light sand before the next coat. The tops both received 3 coats of mineral oil, followed by 2 coats of a beeswax/oil finish.

I thoroughly enjoyed working on these and plan to make a couple more in the near future.

Harlan,
    I'm glad you enjoyed making them because I sure enjoyed looking at them. Really nice! I like the second one the best, but both are great pieces.

Thumbs up

Beautiful work! I especially like the diamond pattern one. Excellent!
    "I've cut the dang thing three times and it's STILL too darn short"
    Name withheld to protect the guilty

Stew Hagerty

Very nice work! Great designs. Thanks for posting.

Gene
    Creative Woodwork and Design
    Vector Studio 22

Blog Entries
    Wow! they look great. I would have a hard time using them for their intended purpose.
    Andrew Gibson
    Program Manger and Resident Instructor
    Florida School Of Woodwork

Incredible!!! Are these for personal use, gifts, clients, or for sale?

Very nice work!

Any Build Pics

Outstanding!

Do you have any pics of the build? Very curious to see how you went about creating the diamond pattern

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew Gibson View Post
    Wow! they look great. I would have a hard time using them for their intended purpose.
    My wife stopped as she was walking by and said, "wow, that looks like art. I'd have a hard time using that as a cutting board." Great job!

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Gaul View Post
    Incredible!!! Are these for personal use, gifts, clients, or for sale?

Very nice work!

Thanks for all the comments everyone. Both of these are being delivered next week to a couple of local stores for commission.

Still having trouble coming up with a price though...

Quote Originally Posted by John Czaplicki View Post
    Outstanding!

Do you have any pics of the build? Very curious to see how you went about creating the diamond pattern
    I don't have any pictures, but I'll try to write up a quick note about how I did it shortly.

I will say that it involved several glue ups... 5 total glue ups for the top.

Woa! Those are amazing!,

How many hours do you have in those. x 50 and there is your price. at least. now you have to change something if they come out to like 10k or something but you have to eat and save for your kids college mind you.
    Last edited by Eiji Fuller; 06-17-2010 at 12:27 AM.
    Fullerbuilt

Beautiful, outstanding work. I'll be looking forward to reading your description of the glue-up for the diamond pattern.

13. Quote Originally Posted by Andrew Gibson View Post
    The intended purpose of a butcher's block is to absorb a cleaver, hence the use of end grain, rather than long grain, and significant mass. I doubt that is the intended purpose of these pieces, so to call them butcher's blocks is slightly misleading. Elegant kitchen work tables, perhaps?

WOW! Love that second one!!!

Tutorial needed!
    Wood is very beautiful in tree form. Wood is very useful in burning form. I merely try to make my work honor the first, avoid the latter, and aim for the middle: beautiful and useful.

wow...just wow...

beautimous work.

I am also looking forward to seeing the writeup...both pieces are just incredibly done. Someone is going to be VERY happy with those in their kitchen...and I hope they use them as butcher block was intended...

Just lovely work.