Thread: Mitered Slab coffee table

Mitered Slab coffee table

I designed this table to be easily built making it something I could price on the low end yet also look really cool.

Its solid soft maple and the miters are at 42 deg making the legs splay out at 6 deg.

Im going to be building another in wenge and birdseye strips and was hoping to get some feedback on the best way to glue up all those strips and still keep everything lined up and flat.

Thanks,

Eiji
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Eiji Fuller; 06-17-2010 at 12:13 AM.
    Fullerbuilt

How do you cut precision miters in 8/4 lumber that's 24" wide or so? Table saw sled? Router jig? A slider on a table saw?

And after you've cut the miters, what's the joinery? Loose tenons?

Jamie,

the table is 26" wide and the miters were cut using my festool TS75. The miters are reinforced with 10mm domino tenons.

I clamped across the miter with a 42 deg caul glued to the pieces. Then knocked off the caul after the joint was set. Last time I built this design it was a bench and I used the miter off cuts for the cauls and when I knocked them off they took a little wood with them so this time I made them in Douglas Fir and they chipped out but the maple didnt.
    Fullerbuilt

Nice table--from the side it almost looks like one massive slab, but from the top it looks like you've joined at least two pieces? Hard to tell.

I looked hard, but just can't see the "splay"--is it more obvious in real life?

How did you join the miter to give good structural strength and resist racking? And lastly, what "style" would you term that--I"ve seen you mention mid-century modern before, and I'm trying to learn a bit more about furniture styles/names.

Nice work!
    Thread on "How do I pickup/move XXX Saw?" http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?p=597898

Compilation of "Which Band Saw to buy?" threads http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthre...028#post692028

Love it. I'm not sure the contrasting wood would actually be an improvement. The beauty of the piece is its simplicity, and the stripes just kinda scream, to my eye.
    "There is a crack in everything - that's how the light gets in"

Blog Entries
    Hi Eiji. I would say you would want to clamp up groups of boards. Then glue them up being sure you clamp them up with equal pressure to make them parallel. Hit them with your Festool sander to get off any glue then run it through a wide belt sander. If you try to clamp them up all at once you may have a problem with it not being parallel from one side to the other. I look forward to seeing your results. Good luck.
    What you listen to is your business....what you hear is ours.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave MacArthur View Post
    Nice table--from the side it almost looks like one massive slab, but from the top it looks like you've joined at least two pieces? Hard to tell.

I looked hard, but just can't see the "splay"--is it more obvious in real life?

How did you join the miter to give good structural strength and resist racking? And lastly, what "style" would you term that--I"ve seen you mention mid-century modern before, and I'm trying to learn a bit more about furniture styles/names.

Nice work!
    Dave,
    Thanks. The table glued up from two boards. Its hard to see the splay because its canceled out by the cameras parralax error. I'll try to get a pic standing back a bit.
    The miters are reinforced with domino tenons.
    I would call this a contemporary design.
    Thanks again
    Eiji
    Fullerbuilt

Here's the result.

I did the glue up with extra slow epoxy and glued all the strips at once.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Fullerbuilt

Very nice, I like this one much more than the first. The transition from side to top and offset colors is very interesting. I can see the splay on these photos better too.

Nice job!
    Thread on "How do I pickup/move XXX Saw?" http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?p=597898

Compilation of "Which Band Saw to buy?" threads http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthre...028#post692028

Your finish is beautiful as well. Can you explain your finishing schedule?

Very nice! I'd take one of each!

Very nice work. I'm impressed by the ability of the Festool to cut those miters, that isn't easy to do accurately on my table saw.

Also interested in your finish.

I know you wanted something you could sell inexpensively. I wouldn't set your price too low, to be honest. The 2nd table looks like it belongs in a Manhattan penthouse.
    Last edited by Phil Thien; 10-13-2010 at 9:17 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Phil Thien View Post
    Very nice work. I'm impressed by the ability of the Festool to cut those miters, that isn't easy to do accurately on my table saw.

Also interested in your finish.

I know you wanted something you could sell inexpensively. I wouldn't set your price too low, to be honest. The 2nd table looks like it belongs in a Manhattan penthouse.
    that table sold for 38.

I'll post the finish schedule later tonight.
    Fullerbuilt

Ok, now THAT is the most interesting post I've read all day! GREAT to hear, and congrats. If you could bang out the equivalent of one of those a week and get it sold...