Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread: What tool/machine do you want but just can't justify the cost?

Holtey hand plane. $11k for a hand plane, no matter how beautiful, is more than I can justify for the results it generates.

I can justify paying $30k for a Euro saw so that will hopefully be my next big purchase.

A wide belt sander... maybe one day.

I drool over the full size CNC machines, just cant justify that much money when it would only compliment traditional woodworking exploits.

1) Domino: Doesn't take up much room, but hard to justify the cost.
    2) Lathe: Good deals on used ones come along occasionally, but I don't have the room.
    3) Wide belt sander: Don't have the room, nor can I justify the cost.

Quote Originally Posted by larry fox View Post
    ......wide belt sander
    +1

When I started woodworking, I didn't know squat. I have progressed in 30 years - now I do know squat.

Portable sawmill and a tractor with an end loader to move logs. And 20 acres in Eastern Tennesse. Gotta have rooom for eh sawmill....

Guess he wife will get her long arm quilting machine at the same time.

Bill

I need more space, rather than more machines

- As others have posted, when you're "space challenged", more machines or tools, or just thinking about buying them sort of turns your stomach and dizzies your head.
    Of course......., if space was NOT an issue......
    A wide belt sander, an edge sander, a 15" or 20" planer, full power[3HP or 5HP] dust collector cyclone with spiral metal collection pipes-[Yeah buddy, I dream big! when it comes to upgrading my DC system]
    I aleady own too much of everything else and tend to lose it in the shop from time to time due to the piling up of ,um, stuff...

8. I want one of those elves from the fairy tales that cleans your shop,etc while you sleep.

Oh, and since we are dreaming, make the elf look like Jessica Alba

Actually, I'll vote for the huge detached shop building. Not allowed to build one in my neighborhood.

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Johnstone View Post
    I want one of those elves from the fairy tales that cleans your shop,etc while you sleep.
    Shop cleaning elf.

Micro fence is my goal

Van - I've lusted after a Micro Fence Plunge Base and Edge Guide for my PC 310 for a couple years now. But at $500 for the privilege, it's just not in the cards for a while.

I really admire the precision and repeatability of this tool so I'll just keep making do while I save up the pennies.

Doug

Quote Originally Posted by Nathan Palenski View Post
    That shop elf doesn't look like Jessica Alba

Quote Originally Posted by David Prince View Post
    That shop elf doesn't look like Jessica Alba
    To fix that drink another beer.

Felder KF700 I will own one!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Larry Browning View Post
    It is a full size bandsaw (like maybe that 17" Grizzly!). I have the bandsaw attachment for my Shopsmith, I use it to cut curves and stuff, but it really sucks at resawing, and the bearings (or something in there) squeels like crazy after about 5-10 minutes of running. I haven't been spending much time in the shop lately, and when I do, the bandsaw doesn't get much use. But, I have a spot reserved for it, and I find myself looking at them in every catalog and WW store I go into.
    Oh well, someday
    With that said, I have read some of these posts, and realize I already have much of what others are wishing for. Like the dedicated and spacious shop, lathe, good dust collection, etc. I am really thankful for what I do have! I can build just about anything I care to build with the tools I already have. (Hope SWMBO doesn't read this!)

"I have the bandsaw attachment for my Shopsmith"
    I've got the old Magna (Shopsmith forerunner) and use it with a "Woodslicer" blade all the time. Change out the bearings and go to work. Quit bein' a slacker.....Get in the shop.

Oh I forgot.....I want a jointer.
    Bill
    On the other hand, I still have five fingers.

EVERY TOOL ON GRIZZLY.COM THAT IS PRICED IN FOUR FIGURE Well, except my beloved G0690 table saw. I have it and will justify it to death any time, any place