Page 4 of 11 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast

Thread: What tool/machine do you want but just can't justify the cost?

a tenoner. dialing in copes with a micrometer then having to change it all again for the stick profile gets old. it'd be nice to have a dedicated tenoner to eliminate that for doors and windows.

Quote Originally Posted by Nathan Palenski View Post
    To fix that drink another beer.
    I have to at least open another one, since you just made me spit the first one all over the monitor.
    When I started woodworking, I didn't know squat. I have progressed in 30 years - now I do know squat.

I am very happy with my shop, but... I would like to replace the only Craftsman tool I have, a 16" scroll saw, although its done a fine job for me. I keep looking at that Dewalt DW788 and Van has hit it right on the head for me, I look at CL, Ebay, and Amazon daily watching and hoping for a deal on this tool, and I dont even need it. But... I want it.
    My favorite cologne is BLO

has to be the domino mean if by that then have to get the vacume wiht it.

Quote Originally Posted by eugene thomas View Post
    has to be the domino mean if by that then have to get the vacume wiht it.

Would that be the Domino effect...

Quote Originally Posted by Chip Lindley View Post
    First and foremost, a plot of land to build a 30x50 shop building!!!! Then a CNC Router!! Lots of insert tooling for my shapers, Byrd 20" spiral head, a modern 12" jointer with spiral head! A good metal lathe and milling machine for fabricating machine parts. A nice MIG welder, A TIG welder....the list goes on and on.....
    +2. my friends tell me i have enough tools to build a small house and everything in it and plumb and wire it. while a 30x50 shop would be wonderful, i'd settle for a nice, deep shop, a little larger than a good sized two car garage.

7. I have two. A dovetail machine (not just a dovetail jig) and a CNC router table. I also dont have the room for the size router table I want

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Woodmark View Post
    I have two. A dovetail machine (not just a dovetail jig) and a CNC router table. I also dont have the room for the size router table I want

I went with a friend to one of his subs cabnet shop and he had a Laguna DT machine running, very cool. We were there about an hour and the guy running it did over 30 drawers! For me it would be a very cool machine but hard to justify doing 30 drawers a YEAR vs an hour. Maybe I could rent time on it...

Quote Originally Posted by Van Huskey View Post
    I went with a friend to one of his subs cabnet shop and he had a Laguna DT machine running, very cool. We were there about an hour and the guy running it did over 30 drawers! For me it would be a very cool machine but hard to justify doing 30 drawers a YEAR vs an hour. Maybe I could rent time on it...
    Van.. Shop fox has a smaller 16" machine that only does about 15 drawers per hour.. In case you want to settle.

I would love to have a 24" Euro Planer, with all the fixings. I am not snobby.. I would take a Martin, Felder, SCM.. I am very reasonable that way..

Quote Originally Posted by Rick Fisher View Post
    Van.. Shop fox has a smaller 16" machine that only does about 15 drawers per hour.. In case you want to settle.

I would love to have a 24" Euro Planer, with all the fixings. I am not snobby.. I would take a Martin, Felder, SCM.. I am very reasonable that way..
    Rick, I just don't think I could settle, if I can't make a years worth of drawers in an hour then I just ain't playin' their game!

You are really resonable... I am not I want a Format4 Plan 51L or nothing!

CNC router!
    Ok even better would be a tig welder, the money, and the time to build one.
    The Plane Anarchist

Blog Entries
    I can't think of to many things with the way the question is formed. If I had the space, not to many tools would not be justified. If I had the money, the tool would not be justified.

Now if we are talking because I don't have enough room... or my wife would kill me because I bought the tool. That would be another question.

And the answer for me would be a Laser. Man... I would love one of those! But I probably wouldn't do anything with it to make money. I'd just use it on my own work. Mostly my turnings.
    Have a Nice Day!

13. Quote Originally Posted by Van Huskey View Post
    I would want one that does through dovetails. I have looked at the Omec's and the Dodd's. I would also like to have a large bed plotter with a knife blade instead of a pen so I can make patterns more easily than I do now. I have seen one of these before, although they are not commonplace

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Woodmark View Post
    I would want one that does through dovetails. I have looked at the Omec's and the Dodd's. I would also like to have a large bed plotter with a knife blade instead of a pen so I can make patterns more easily than I do now. I have seen one of these before, although they are not commonplace

The only "highend" dovetailer I have seen was a Northtec I think, it was at IWF and I normally don't look at production machines but this thing looked like some kinda crazy computer operated punch card machine so I just had to stop and investigate.

I must say this has been an fun thread for me, some people "dream" of the mundane like me and some people have really cool dreams!

Two words -Holtzapffel lathe.