Thread: Built-in Design Feedback Requested

Built-in Design Feedback Requested

Hi all

My daughter's home daycare provider has requested that I make some built-in cabinets/shelves to surround her fireplace. This is my first "real" assignment that isnt inside my home... so I want to make sure I do it right. Here's the overall design which will be made of mostly cherry ply with cherry face frames/doors:

Gwen's fireplace.jpg

The base cabinets are fashioned very similar to a typical kitchen cabinet. The overall height of the base is 36" which is what she specifically requested. The total height is nominally 8ft which will go up to the ceiling (with applied crown moulding which isn't shown).

Two questions:

One detail I havent yet worked out is how to attach the top shelving unit to the base. I figured I'd drill an enlarged hole in the top of the base and then drive a screw from underneath the top into the end of side panels. Does this sound ok?

I've also made the unit a little narrower than the opening to allow for scribing the irregularity in the walls. Just how much should I allow?

Thanks for your feedback!

Andy

2. Hey Andy
    I usually attach the counter top to the upper. So in effect the counter becomes the deck of the upper. The upper is typically 1.25 to 1.5" .
    Just screw from underneath thru the top of the base into the counter.

Set your cabs 3/4 off the wall, add blocks. Make your scribes 1.25", scribe off 1/2". Use applied ends for your returns.

Steve

Thanks Steve! I obviously hadnt thought of attaching the top to the upper! That's a great idea!

I hadn't mentioned it before, but there are walls immediately to the left/right of both cabinet sections. So I can't do applied ends.

Thanks again,
    andy