Thread: Engraving on Stanely planes by previous owner

Engraving on Stanely planes by previous owner

I bought a couple of Stanely bench planes from a chap who was clearing out his recently deceased fathers small collection of tools. No rust and both having the appearance of very little or no use on the No. 6 or No. 3 both of which have corrigated soles.

However the old fellow engraved one plane with his social security number and the other with his name.

Has anyone effectively dealt with a restoration by removing the free hand engraving? The Japaning is nearly flawless on the planes save the mark of "Zoro".

if it on the side and very shallow you may be able to lap it out... but if its deep you'll have a real dog of a time. you don't what to locally grind / file / sand in out as you'll be left with a weird dip in the side of the tool.

I leave all these marks in, I have a set of witherby chisels that have a chaps surname stamped in them... one day i'll stamp my name below them and start a bit of a family tree so to speak.

I think it's great and adds a dimention to the real age of the tool.
    Steven Thomas

surface grinder ?

I have access to a surface grinder where I work and since mine are strictly "users" I ground the side that had a name scribed into it. After a little time and use you can't really tell that its been done.

Blog Entries

Daniel,

It sounds like you are describing marks in the Japanning. If that is the case you may be able to paint over the effected area with a few coats of spray enamel. Then you can use a rubbing compound to feather it in, just like folks who repair automobile finishes.

jim
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Jim,
    That sounds like the ticket, spray paint and rub out, perhaps followed by a clear coat . Thanks all for your comments.
    Daniel

If you go to an auto parts store, you can buy a container of touch up paint. There is one called "universal black." It has a very small paintbrush and a ballpoint pen applicator in it. The ball point is good for spot work, and the brush good for larger areas. This paint looks very similar to japanning when it's dry, and also it has a high solids content so it dries thick. it dries quickly, too, and is easy to sand.