Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Tools that should be invented.

Blog Entries

Tools that should be invented.

The other day I was getting ready to make The stiles of the doors of my masterpiece cabinet humidor. I grabbed the piece of wood I had been saving to make them and started cutting. When I cut the first piece I laid it on the table and it rocked from end to end. the wood wasn't stable enough and it twisted. I was surprised (and pissed) because it was from the same tree and color and so on. I thought to myself, "Someone needs to invent a tool that can measure tension int wood grain" Fortunately I had another piece from the same tree at home. It worked out perfectly.

This story made me wonder, how many of you have come across a problem like this and thought "Someone should make a tool that does....."
    No board stretchers, I want tools that could be invented to solve situations that kicked your butt.
    What you listen to is your business....what you hear is ours.

Actually,way back in the late 50's or early 60's a machine was invented that would make boards wider,but it only did so by crushing them wider,and ruining the wood's integrity.

A magnet that is attracted to non-ferrous metal.
    An Wixey like gadget integral to miter saws and table saws, maybe even miter gauges.

Just for fun, a laser guided Japanese pull saw.
    Gene
    Life is too short for cheap tools
    GH

4. Quote Originally Posted by Bill Wyko View Post
    ............... I want tools that could be invented to solve situations that kicked your butt.
    Like when you're using you're charcoal grill to cook for the family, and the smoke is billowing directly into your face from the right.

What you need there is a left-handed smoke shifter.

Not yet invented, but sorely needed.

A near silent router.

I would still like to know it's running, but only barely

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Bracken View Post
    A near silent router.

I would still like to know it's running, but only barely

That would be a spindle

Chisel-Stop

A handheld 3x24 belt sander that is really heavy, works awesome, lasts forever, gray, and worm drive.

An electric orbital sander that lasts more than 12 months

An exclusive line of women's shoes highly marketed and sought after by all well-dressed ladies, which are not sold in any outlet whatsoever, but can ONLY be acquired in conjunction with a major tool purchase. You want the gold-colored heels from "Christian Yves St de Chanel"? You have to buy the 12" jointer from Powermatic to get them. You want the emerald and cream pair? Gotta purchase the Grizzly 514x2 band saw.

Seriously, whose wife DOESN'T deserve a pair of those shoes?? I know mine does!
    Thread on "How do I pickup/move XXX Saw?" http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?p=597898

Compilation of "Which Band Saw to buy?" threads http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthre...028#post692028

A cloaking device that covers my tool deliveries so my wife doesnt see what I bought

Quote Originally Posted by Dave MacArthur View Post
    An exclusive line of women's shoes highly marketed and sought after by all well-dressed ladies, which are not sold in any outlet whatsoever, but can ONLY be acquired in conjunction with a major tool purchase. You want the gold-colored heels from "Christian Yves St de Chanel"? You have to buy the 12" jointer from Powermatic to get them. You want the emerald and cream pair? Gotta purchase the Grizzly 514x2 band saw.

Seriously, whose wife DOESN'T deserve a pair of those shoes?? I know mine does!

<bowdown> I think that you may be among the wisest that I have ever encountered. </bowdown>

Quote Originally Posted by Karl Brogger View Post
    An electric orbital sander that lasts more than 12 months

Its made by festool. And yes they cost 2-3x but outlast the rest x5 and are much more fun to use.
    Fullerbuilt

A good cordless router.

for me a very loud audible STUPID alarm which would go off BEFORE I....

cut the last piece of hard to shape hardwood molding exactly 1" too short, put the board in the dovetail jig wrong side out and cut a set of beautiful dovetails on the opposite side from the other end, forget to pay attention to grain orientation when breaking down sheet goods and end up with a cross grain cut for the drawer bottom dado and get so much splintering I have to toss all away, etc etc - all of the above in the last 30 days

I do think management would be more supportive of my hobby if she did not have to listen to all the navy words coming from the shop when i realize the extent of my latest bonehead move.

MY only consolation is - I have been very focused on safety & so far all my mistakes have just been hard on materials or tooling and not me - My grandfather who got me started on this path defined a good carpenter as "one who can still count to 10 with his shoes on".

Quote Originally Posted by Dave MacArthur View Post
    I believe that we should all pool our cumulative woodworking talents to build a fine alter on which Dave shall be placed and honored for this miracle of an idea. All hail Dave.

Quote Originally Posted by Erik Christensen View Post
    for me a very loud audible STUPID alarm which would go off BEFORE I....

cut the last piece of hard to shape hardwood molding exactly 1" too short, put the board in the dovetail jig wrong side out and cut a set of beautiful dovetails on the opposite side from the other end, forget to pay attention to grain orientation when breaking down sheet goods and end up with a cross grain cut for the drawer bottom dado and get so much splintering I have to toss all away, etc etc - all of the above in the last 30 days

I do think management would be more supportive of my hobby if she did not have to listen to all the navy words coming from the shop when i realize the extent of my latest bonehead move.

MY only consolation is - I have been very focused on safety & so far all my mistakes have just been hard on materials or tooling and not me - My grandfather who got me started on this path defined a good carpenter as "one who can still count to 10 with his shoes on".
    You too, huh?