Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What do you do with your walnut saw dust?

What do you do with your walnut saw dust?

I was just wondering what everyone else did with their walnut saw dust. I normally just compost my saw dust, but I've been just throwing it away since it's supposedly toxic to certain plants.

Quote Originally Posted by Matthew Chamberlin View Post
    I was just wondering what everyone else did with their walnut saw dust. I normally just compost my saw dust, but I've been just throwing it away since it's supposedly toxic to certain plants.
    I spend a lot of time showering, to remove the nasty brown stuff from just about every crevice

The end product is worth it, but walnut sawdust is horrible!

I burn it.
    Cody

Logmaster LM-1 sawmill, 30 hp Kioti tractor w/ FEL, Stihl 290 chainsaw, 300 bf cap. Solar Kiln

The power plant close to me uses sawdust and other chippings for biomass

not good for compost and not good for horses, so i do like cody and throw it on my burn pile.

Dump it in the woods, behind the house. That's where is started, that's where it finishes up.

Blog Entries

Smile compost

From the Cornell extension service-- you can compost it but it needs additional time to break down. Since my compost usually sits for years, no problem. If you're one of those 60 day composters - better let it sit in a separate compost for 6 mo. They suggest you can always test it with tomato seedlings which are sensitive to the toxin.

I make very fancy (and exotic) walnut MDF with mine.

How much are you generating? My next door neighbor says there's no way I can generate enough sawdust from any toxic wood to harm his horses and that I'm welcome to add it to the pile he has trucked in for them.

Quote Originally Posted by Matt Meiser View Post
    How much are you generating? My next door neighbor says there's no way I can generate enough sawdust from any toxic wood to harm his horses and that I'm welcome to add it to the pile he has trucked in for them.
    Those are those beautiful six-legged ponies, though, right ?

I don't believe in sawdust segregation. All of my dust/chips go into large plastic bags and then to the curb.

Quote Originally Posted by Matt Meiser View Post
    The problem is that the walnut (sawdust or chips) contain a substance that is harmful to horses. I believe the substance is absorbed through the hooves of horses. The folks or stables I have spoken with are very careful only to use non-walnut residue.

Here is some info: http://www.ces.purdue.edu/extmedia/FNR/FNR-254.pdf

Keep walnut residue away from horses.
    Howie.........

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve Bracken View Post
    I spend a lot of time showering, to remove the nasty brown stuff from just about every crevice

The end product is worth it, but walnut sawdust is horrible!
    Try Cocobolo then you will appreciate walnut.

Yes I'm aware and that's why he and I talked about it. That article says it can cause problems down to 10% concentration of walnut shavings. He uses many wheelbarrows of shavings each time he cleans the stalls, each is probably about 1 drum of my shavings. I probably generated 8 drums of shavings doing a kitchen? An average project wouldn't probably fill a drum and there would be other stuff mixed in. He has sawdust brought in by the semi-sized dump truck load.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Southwood View Post
    Dump it in the woods, behind the house. That's where is started, that's where it finishes up.
    Once i save enough money up for that house outside of town, i will. But right now I'm still living on a city lot