Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: What do you do with your walnut saw dust?

Quote Originally Posted by Matt Meiser View Post
    How much are you generating? My next door neighbor says there's no way I can generate enough sawdust from any toxic wood to harm his horses and that I'm welcome to add it to the pile he has trucked in for them.
    I was given a bunch of ROUGH cut walnut. The last dresser i made produced about 2 garbage cans of planner chips and saw dust. Now I'm working a hallway bench, and i've almost made the same amount.

What I don't burn in my fire pit when the kids want to roast marshmellows, I take by bags of sawdust to the local lawn waste dump...

I keep my walnut shavings segregated, and have a waiting list for it.

I understand that horse urine reacts with it to produce a toxin that is absorbed through the hooves of horses. Okay, no horse stables for me. even one that doesn't mind low levels of toxin.

However, walnut contains a chemical that prevents seeds from germinating. If you have a rose garden, you don't plant seeds, and all the weeds come from seeds, plus walnut shavings make a pretty brown mulch. Same for lots of other gardens grown from plants rather than seeds. I put an inch or so under my foundation plantings, and get very few weeds for the next few years.

Walnut Sawdust

I give it to my nasty neighbors for their flowers
    Ron In Clanton, Alabama

Shoot amongst us boy, one of us has got to have some relief!

Blog Entries
    I toss it out in the "green" barrel. I also shake the bags out real good if I plan to use the next non-toxic batch of sawdust in the garden.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve Southwood View Post
    Dump it in the woods, behind the house. That's where is started, that's where it finishes up.
    Ditto for me.....back in the woods from whence it came.
    There's one in every crowd......and it's usually me!

Depending on the sizes of your "end use" Walnut, and whether you get it green or not, I save mine and then pack my "green" pieces in it to slow dry. I do the same with Maple and other woods though Walnut is the only one I will segregate from the rest of the shavings/chips. I use cardboard barrels which let air in and out extremely slowly and the pieces get a chance to dry evenly. Works for me, YMMV.