Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Exercise Ideas

Larry, I don't own a WII fit, but I have some friends that do, and I have to say that I LOVE it. I can play for hours. I usually have to get dragged away from it.

As for inexpensive exercise, look into community sports. Around here there are softball leagues geared towards "fun" not serious competition, and during the "off season" many of these folks get together for Sunday pick up games. Also, my local Armory has pick up volleyball every Monday night for all levels. For a $20 yearly membership, you can use the Armory as often as you like, for the pick up volleyball, basketball, whatever. Also, going to these things usually gets you in touch with folks that are in leagues. And they are almost always looking for someone. There are also special interest groups that have leagues like total beginners, over 50, or "just for fun". So, check out what your county is offering.

On the other hand, you could get a personal trainer... you may pay a lot more out of pocke for it, but when you actually pay (and have someone to answer to) you tend to go...as opposed to having a membership at a gym...who'll know it you don't go?
    I drink, therefore I am.

Blog Entries
    Well, I have finally gotten the Wii setup. I have just started using it. So far so good. However, I am finding that SWMBO is quite a bit better at every game/exercise we have done so far. That's ok, It will be just that much sweeter when I do beat her at something! I know there is lots of stuff I have yet to discover on this thing.
    Another thing I learned was that I am now much more popular with the grand kids!
    Larry J Browning
    There are 10 kinds of people in this world; Those who understand binary and those who don't.

Quote Originally Posted by Larry Browning View Post
    We are considering investing in a Wii fit which is going to set me back $300. I am pretty skeptical of this, due to me past experience with workout equipment.
    If you have one of these, what has your experience been with it? Also, do you have any alternative ideas? I have been racking my brain to come up with something I can stick with, and have yet to come up with anything that seems to have even a remote chance of working for me. The wii seems to be my best choice so far, but I am skeptical of that as well.
    Wii fit is great for a decoration in your front room. We got the whole setup, plus a few other games that use the board. None of it ever got used. We do P90X and the Wii just doesn't cut it after that, not even close. Get a dog and take it for walks. That way you can rationalize it by realizing you have to take care of the dog. Good motivation to get off the couch.

Now if only they would come up with a Wii woodworking edition.

Like running a board through a planer or hand cutting a dovetail.
    How about using a hand plane or a foot power lathe?
    "Remember back in the day, when things were made by hand, and people took pride in their work?"
    - Rick Dale

How do I say this politely, within the TOS of this site...

Well... If you show LOYL how much you love her in the most passionate way possible, nudge nudge wink wink, you can burn up to 380 calories in 1 hour.

Dan
    A flute without holes, is not a flute. A donut without a hole, is a Danish.

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Mages View Post
    How do I say this politely, within the TOS of this site...

Well... If you show LOYL how much you love her in the most passionate way possible, nudge nudge wink wink, you can burn up to 380 calories in 1 hour.

Dan
    You can burn that many calories doing the dishes?

Quote Originally Posted by Zach England View Post
    You can burn that many calories doing the dishes?
    Yes. They are fairly newly wed, Zach, so it probably still takes them an hour to do the dishes.
    Last edited by Belinda Barfield; 06-23-2010 at 9:11 AM.

“Life is not so short but that there is always time enough for courtesy and chivalry.” —Ralph Waldo Emerson

Everybody knows what to do with the devil but them that has him. My Grandmother
    I had a guardian angel at one time, but my little devil got him drunk, tattooed, and left him penniless at a strip club. I have not had another angel assigned to me yet.
    I didn't change my mind, my mind changed me.
    Bella Terra

Quote Originally Posted by Belinda Williamson View Post
    Yes. They are fairly newly wed, Zach, so it probably still takes them an hour to do the dishes.
    You all are making me feel inadequate. Only takes me 30 minutes to do the dishes.
    My three favorite things are the Oxford comma, irony and missed opportunities

The problem with humanity is: we have paleolithic emotions; medieval institutions; and God-like technology. Edward O. Wilson

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Weber View Post
    You all are making me feel inadequate. Only takes me 30 minutes to do the dishes.
    Yeah, well, I just use the dishwasher . . .

“Life is not so short but that there is always time enough for courtesy and chivalry.” —Ralph Waldo Emerson

I had a guardian angel at one time, but my little devil got him drunk, tattooed, and left him penniless at a strip club. I have not had another angel assigned to me yet.
    Bella Terra

I don't have any "dishes" to "wash"...

Belinda,
    You have one of the finest senses of humor that I have seen on SMC. Very subtle, a little risqué and always funny. Keep it up, we need your humor.
    David B

Quote Originally Posted by David G Baker View Post
    Belinda,
    You have one of the finest senses of humor that I have seen on SMC. Very subtle, a little risqué and always funny. Keep it up, we need your humor.
    Thank you very much, sir!

Bella Terra

Quote Originally Posted by Greg Peterson View Post
    Larry - I spend a fair amount of time at the gym.

Couple of pointers.

Have a plan and ease into it slowly. Gradually increase the duration and intensity. Too much, too soon and you may become overwhelmed or discouraged.

The Wii is likely a good ice breaker for you. However from the little I have seen or read on the Wii as an effective cardio workout I am skeptical.

The one tool I use for my cardio workout is a heart rate monitor. It's basically a RPM gauge for your heart and takes the guess work out of knowing if you are exerting yourself at the correct level.

The monitor records the duration of the workout and provides an average heart rate for the session. I find this data invaluable.

One thing to keep in mind with any exercise program is variability. The body quickly adapts to the routine. For example, if you go for a thirty minute walk every morning, and you maintain the same rate and level of exertion, the body will learn to conserve energy (fat) and pace itself accordingly.

I do interval cardio training. Work at a high heart rate for a minute or two, then work at a low rate for three or four minutes.

In summary:

1. Ease into the lifestyle change.

2. Realize your expectations for condition level are always just beyond your current level. Enjoy the journey.

3. Use a heart rate monitor and record or at least observe your chronological progress.

4. Mix it up. Don't let your body and mind get into that dreaded, predictable routine.

5. Don't give up. Your reward will be better health. And the only regret you will experience from the daily commitment is that you did not do this sooner.
    Larry -

I second Greg's comments about varying the exercise routine and more importantly getting a heart rate monitor.

I use a Polar FT80. You can choose your exercise goals. It will establish heart rate goals and you can upload them to the computer with the FlowLink transmitter that comes with it. You even get a little "trophy" after a successful week of workouts. The watch has provided me motivation numerous times when I just "didn't feel like it".

Check out TriNowFitness and search for coupons at the usual sites. Think of it as a new tool - it really is.

Regards,
    Ted

Quote Originally Posted by Zach England View Post
    I don't have any "dishes" to "wash"...
    So, your married then?
    My three favorite things are the Oxford comma, irony and missed opportunities

The problem with humanity is: we have paleolithic emotions; medieval institutions; and God-like technology. Edward O. Wilson

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Weber View Post
    So, your married then?
    no, and most likely never will be