Thread: AAW Symposium

AAW Symposium

My wife and I were fortunate enough to spend a day at the AAW Symposium, Friday. We live only a few hours from Hartford. Of course, we met folks from upper Michigan and Alabama who drove much further. We were not able to stay long enough to watch demonstrations from the masters but did view the Instant Gallery and walk the trade show floor. We met some of the professional turners I've seen in videos as well as those who design and sell us the tools we can't live without.
    Bill Grumbine is a mountain of a man with a smile and laugh that makes you like him instantly. He lives within an hour of me and I hope to someday try to get a lesson with him. I need to hone my basic skills first. He was turning in the Robust booth, a word I would use to describe Bill himself.
    I stopped by Alan Lacer's booth and cursed him for making use of the skew look so easy while I use it to create kindling. I did, however, buy a diamond hone from him and am sure with that I will immediately become a master of the skew (yea, right).
    I stopped David Ellsworth and introduced myself. He also lives within an hour of my town. I was impressed at how much time David took to study and photograph many of the entrees in the Instant Gallery.
    Doug Thompson is a light hearted personality who loves to talk about the craft and the steel he uses to make his fine tools. I walked away from liking him and owning one of his 1/2" V shaped bowl gouges and a handle he recently began to sell. I am sure there will be others in the future.
    Bill Rubenstein the importer of Stubby Lathes was a computer programmer in his "other life". We are the same vintage and we used everyone of the generations of computer he programmed from IBM 402 through their System 3. It was fun talking about that sort of history. I don't want to do a lathe critique but the Stubby is the most unique and imaginative lathe I say at the show, though all were amazing.
    Christian and hos wife, who sell the Vicmarc lathe, can't hide their French accent. They were dancers in LV. Christian was a wood turning hobbyist who now makes his living selling that great lathe and accessories.
    Ernie Conover, somewhat of a woodturning legend, was in his booth selling his latest books. Ernie designed and sold the Conover lathe. If you've never seen one you missed a beauty. Ernie's lathe was sold without ways. You made those from hardwood and could make them to suit your length requirements. Everything else was cast, heavy and well made. You would be hard pressed to find one for sale since current owners are not likely to give them up. Unfortunately, Ernie sold the company and the new owner failed so no more will be built. Ernie is a delight to speak with.
    My only disappointment was meeting so few other Creekers even though I actively tried to find the ones who wrote me they were going to attend. I had a dozen hats made up with "Sawmill Creek" on them and wore one. I wanted to give away the rest in the hope our folks would introduce themselves as Creekers. I did leave a few here and there but have 5 or 6 left.
    The Instant Gallery was amazing and really took turning to a new level. The imagination and skills shown there are difficult to describe. I took a few pictures but soon realized I could not do them justice with my pocket sized camera. There were many people with proper lighting equipment photographing every entree. I am sure the pictures will soon be available on the AAW site. You can already see Instant Gallery pictures from several past symposiums. Here are a couple to whet your appetite.
    The lady trying to hide behind the finial is the Light of My Life. She has allowed herself to be dragged to all kind of woodworking shows and even encourages me to buy the tools I tell her I need. Today is her birthday and the one year wedding anniversary of our daughter and son in law who will make us grandparents in December. What a life!!!
    fmr
    Attached Images Attached Images

Faust sounds like you had a great time. I got to meet a few of those Bill Grumbine, Alan Lacer, Al Stirt, Doug Thompson, Ernie Conover, and a host of others while attending the Richmond symposium a couple of years ago. I hope to be able to attend another.
    Bernie

Never put off until tomorrow what you can do the day after tomorrow.

To succeed in life, you need three things: a wishbone, a backbone and a funnybone.

Sorry I missed you Faust.
    I was there Fri. and Sat. but the only other Creeker I met was Don Geiger. Cool stuff at that booth.

Bill Grumbine was a hoot, shooting shavings over the walls into the adjoining booths and the non-stop commentary.

Managed to catch several demos including Peter Bloch (lampshades), Al Hockenberry [sp?](Natural Edge Hollow Forms) and Cindy Drozda (Finial Box) among others. Great stuff though the lighting in the Bloch demo didn't show his light gauging technique as well as it could have. Venue issue not his.

The galleries were impressive to say the least but my biggest impression was from the club collaborative. A miniature antique woodworking shop that actually worked. Others on the AAW site will surely publish some photos of this but it blew me away.

Great symposium although I do have to say that the design of this year's shirts was... unfortunate. It's rare when a shirt's colors can make me airsick but, holy cow.

All in all, great show.

Jim

I am envious!! St. Paul is already on the calendar!

It is a shame that I didn't run in to you. I wandered around and took lots and lots of pics. I was taking some for the AAW, but mostly for myself. It was the only way I could see more than I had time for; by going back and looking through them. This my first AAW symposium, and hopefully not my last....

The stuff on display (Instant gallery, auction, chapter projects) just blew my mind. It is amazing what people can make!

Faust,

Sorry to have missed you. My wife and I were in the Vendor section. Glad you had a good time. The annual symposium is the only one we always try to get too. We're already signed up for 2011.
    May all your turnings be smooth,

Brodie Brickey

Faust,
    I wish I had taken the time to talk to more of the internationally renowned turners. It seems that they are just like us, but a good deal more experienced and advanced. Each person I talked with was friendly and upbeat, willing to provide answers to any and all questions. The demos in the vendor area were pretty complete, and the demonstrator was always cooperative. However, St. Paul is sooo far away....

Quote Originally Posted by Fred Perreault View Post
    Faust,
    I wish I had taken the time to talk to more of the internationally renowned turners. It seems that they are just like us, but a good deal more experienced and advanced.
    Fred, that reminds me of when my kids used to say - "Hey, that car is just like ours - 'cept its bigger, and a different color, and the front looks different!"

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Silva View Post
    Sorry I missed you Faust.
    I was there Fri. and Sat. but the only other Creeker I met was Don Geiger. Cool stuff at that booth.

Bill Grumbine was a hoot, shooting shavings over the walls into the adjoining booths and the non-stop commentary.

Managed to catch several demos including Peter Bloch (lampshades), Al Hockenberry [sp?](Natural Edge Hollow Forms) and Cindy Drozda (Finial Box) among others. Great stuff though the lighting in the Bloch demo didn't show his light gauging technique as well as it could have. Venue issue not his.

The galleries were impressive to say the least but my biggest impression was from the club collaborative. A miniature antique woodworking shop that actually worked. Others on the AAW site will surely publish some photos of this but it blew me away.

Great symposium although I do have to say that the design of this year's shirts was... unfortunate. It's rare when a shirt's colors can make me airsick but, holy cow.

All in all, great show.

Jim
    Jim,

Glad you liked the antique woodworking shop. My turning club make it. I had a small part in it's creation. It won Best of Show. I wish I could have atttended the symposium.