Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: ungloat :-(

Blog Entries

ungloat :-(

Awhile back I had posted a jet cabinet saw that I "purchased" for $1300. In the end, finances dictate that this $1300 would be the only money I could spend on tool acquisition for quite awhile, so we made the decision to step away from that deal. boooooooo

But, it opens the opportunity to bargain shop on a whole new level.

For example, today I'm going to pick this up:
    http://philadelphia.craigslist.org/tls/1795078754.html

So, it sort of sucks, but at the same time I'm excited at the challenge of outfitting the entire shop instead of just one tool.

Anyways, so my question at the end of this story is: I'm usually of the mindset of buying absolute top quality ONCE. And now I'm taking the approach that may cause me to buy some items TWICE over the course of time to upgrade some equipment as my skills grow and require it. Do you think with a hobby like woodworking that this "upgrade later" approach is a good one?
    - Bob R.
    Collegeville PA (30 minutes west of Philly)

Growing...

IMO it's always better to grow into your tools. However, you can't grow with out some tools. Each tool has it's lessons to teach. The Japanese don't let an apprentice have any tools that he is not ready to learn. Lucky we aren't in Japan in the 12th century ! Hoot!

I think that drill press will be a great boon. Lots of lessons there to enjoy. Especially milling and mortising. Making drill press jigs, and the like should give you a great time and add quite a bit to your wood working projects.

It's the process not the product as they say.

Good Luck and enjoy the shavings !

Bob -

As much as I'd love to go out and buy top quality tools...I don't. Probably could, but even for as much as I do as a hobbiest, still couldn't justify it. I bargain shop for my tools...CL, thrifty nickel, stuff like that. Bought my Craftsman T/S a couple years ago. Fella I bought it from bought it new...in 1982. So I look at that as a good deal seein how it's lasted this long and will last me quite a few more years.

It's probably NOT the best approach.

Being WEALTHY would be a much better approach.

But .... we make do with what we can ... without stressing ourselves too much, or stretching our wallets too much.

Charles Neil could make EXQUISITE furniture in MY shop.

On the other hand, I could turn out pure crap in his

Enjoy your purchases. Use them to learn their strengths and weaknesses while you do. You'll be a better informed consumer if/when it IS time to upgrade !

Don't sweat it. Buy what feels right - whether it's the 'best' or the 'best-for-the-buck'. Do yr research. There are plenty of budget tools that are not a waste - new and used.

I have been accumulating tools for more than 50 years. I have rarely bought new. I was in the surplus and pawn shop business for many years. (Still in the pawn shops) There are a huge number of real bargains if you are not in a big rush. The pure joy of finding a "deal" is worth every bit of the wait! The nice thing is you can buy a piece of equipment, use it and learn from it, and sell it for at least what you paid for it when a better machine comes along. This approach does require you to become educated about the features and working of the tool you might be looking for. Also lets you learn about the maintenance and repair of the tools you own. I enjoy tinkering with my machinery every bit as much as actually using them to build with. Over time you will find that you will have a high dollar shop with very little cash spent.

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Riefer View Post

Anyways, so my question at the end of this story is: I'm usually of the mindset of buying absolute top quality ONCE. And now I'm taking the approach that may cause me to buy some items TWICE over the course of time to upgrade some equipment as my skills grow and require it. Do you think with a hobby like woodworking that this "upgrade later" approach is a good one?
    I never ever buy a tool that I think I'll outgrow unless space or budget dictate otherwise. (I've done that, but not on purpose) I buy tools that I can grow into, not out of.
    "I love the smell of sawdust in the morning".
    Robert Duval in "Apileachips Now". - almost.

Laserpro Spirit 60W laser, Corel X3
    Missionfurnishings, Mitchell Andrus Studios, NC

Upgrading sucks because you loose money. That being said, If I didn't buy some of my first tools that I have now upgraded I would probably not know what features I wanted in my final tool. I would have probably not made half of the stuff I have made because I was waiting for money to buy the very beast tool. I do think needs change as you progress. You could have spent $2K on a PM66 when you started out, and then find out you want to make cabinets and sell it off for a slider. I try not to sweat the upgrades too much.

Upgrading doesn't have to mean you lose money. When I started this hobby I had a lot less money so I was forced to bargan hunt for used tools. I think I've made money on every used tool I later sold. Had I been seduced by shiny new paint on entry level tools I'd have lost a ton of money.

I am pretty handy mechanically, but then tools are really simple mechanically. If you buy a drill press for $150 and you need to tear it down to rebuild, just use a digital camera to document every step of disassembly. Also now days you have the internet and lots of experience folks willing to answer questions when you get stuck. 25 years ago when I bought my first used jointer and used 1/2" spindle shaper I had no internet to look to for help

The plus for me of finding a good deal on used, and then fixing up, is a big dose of pride.

Do you think with a hobby like woodworking that this "upgrade later" approach is a good one?
    I'm not a fan of buying the same thing twice, myself.

Are you saying you think you may want to upgrade if you buy the drill press? That Walker Turner is more of a machine than anything available new at that price level. You're starting at the top of the range as far as I'm concerned. The only upgrage I can see is maybe going to an 18", or finding a Walker Turner radial drill (legendary).

Looks like it's missing a belt cover, or maybe a slo-speed attachment, though.
    Darnell

Quote Originally Posted by Cary Falk View Post
    Upgrading sucks because you loose money. That being said, If I didn't buy some of my first tools that I have now upgraded I would probably not know what features I wanted in my final tool. I would have probably not made half of the stuff I have made because I was waiting for money to buy the very beast tool. I do think needs change as you progress. You could have spent $2K on a PM66 when you started out, and then find out you want to make cabinets and sell it off for a slider. I try not to sweat the upgrades too much.
    Nah ... ya don't have to lose money when you upgrade. It's often possible to even make a little, I have

OTOH, if you buy new, from a retail outlet, then upgrade ..... losing money is the price you will pay.

Slo-Speed :

http://www.owwm.com/photoindex/detail.aspx?id=7985

One other thing, W-T liked to use goofy bearings. For the asking price it's probably worth the risk, but you may want to do some homework before you pull the quill apart.
    Darnell

For $1300, I think you can do much better than a Jet tablesaw. Keep your eyes open for an older Unisaw or PM66.
    Ross

It seems for the most part that woodworking (unless it is a daily job that is the main source of income) goes through a lot of evolution. A lot of folks (me included) start out feeling a need to fill the new shop with all the tools we can affford on an immediate basis. As time goes on we find a certain area of woodworking that we really like and many of the tools we originally bought sit idle and are never used. If we turn to furniture making we are the guy on CL with the "barely used, like new" lathe for sale, or the "like new table saw" if we really get into turning. Sometimes it makes sense to start with some used tools first, find what direction your main interest is heading and work your way up to some of the better "lifetime" tools for that area. Hand tools on the other hand are a little different as cheap or used/abused saws, planes, etc. can create lots of frustration and drive a person away from the Neander side in a hurry and cause them to miss out on some of the true joys of woodworking. As mentioned in earlier posts, take it slow and look for those bargains.

Hey Bob, looks like a used uni might be up for sale soon. In Philly no less

http://sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=142718