Thread: Barnwood Look

Barnwood Look

Is there a way to age western cedar ? I want the (faded gray look) for some picture frames...........thanks

.................................................. ..................................God Bless

Cheap way...take a pc of scrap, wipe on some oven cleaner, let it dry to see if that's what you want. Potasium permangenate is also something that you can get at plumbers supply house that is a stronger oxidizer but it may be too much for what you want. Just work with scrap until you get what you want.
    Glenn Clabo
    Michigan

Quote Originally Posted by Glenn Clabo
    Cheap way...take a pc of scrap, wipe on some oven cleaner, let it dry to see if that's what you want. Potasium permangenate is also something that you can get at plumbers supply house that is a stronger oxidizer but it may be too much for what you want. Just work with scrap until you get what you want.

Thanks Glenn

When I need the old

barn wood look I go find an old barn that is about to fall down, find the owner and ask if I can have some wood. Never been denied the wood. In fact one owner said that I could have the whole thing. Did not have that much room nor the time. The only place the wood seems new is where it is cut.
    Don't know if this helps you.
    Randy

Don't worry abuot tommorrow, it may never arrive
    Don't fret over yesterdays mistake, you can't undo them
    Just live today the best you can.

Is it hairy?

I've used a lot of rough sawed cedar in display work. I usually dry brush the wood for various effects. You can use flat latex paints and a rag, or stiff bristle brush. Trick is to lightly rub over the wood to leave behind a residue of color. By drybrushing, usually on a smoother surface, you dip the end of the bristles in the paint and blot off the excess on a rag. Then, gently drag the brush across the area to create an antique or rustic look. Rough sawed cedar soaks up paint like a sponge, so I usually use a saturated rag and lightly drag it across the wood. Vandyke brown and dark grays are good for the barnyard look. Give it a try on some scraps and see how you like it.
    Phil in Big D
    The only difference between a taxidermist and the taxman, is that the taxidermist leaves the skin. Mark Twain