Thread: LN 16" thin plate tenon saw

LN 16" thin plate tenon saw

anyone have one of these?

it sounds like just what i'm looking for, there is father's day cash burning a hole in my pocket and a LN event close by this friday. just looking for some real world opinions. the turn ons for me are the size and thin kerf, but those are also the things i'm hoping aren't a burden...

any input appreciated, thank you.

-Roger

I like saws of that size in rip with 10tpi or so teeth.

I have a kit that size on the way from MW, but with standard kerf/sawplate. The thin kerf should be nice.

What is the tpi on it?
    Last edited by David Weaver; 06-21-2010 at 12:49 PM.

I had the chance to try one out on Saturday at our guild hand tools meeting in my shop where I compared it to my own LN. It worked quite well, but so does my standard version of that saw which I bought years ago. I could feel a very slight difference in the way it cut, but it was so little I might have been imagining it. I'm not sure the difference of .005" in width of kerf between the 2 saws is of any real importance in the greater scheme of things and the saw is certainly more subject to damage with the thinner sawplate. Sometimes I think we go overboard when it comes to the small differences of tools.

Don't let me discourage you Roger, both are fine saws and let it never be said that I didn't do may part as an enabler to the hand tool addiction.
    Dave Anderson

Chester, NH

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Roger Benton View Post
    anyone have one of these?

it sounds like just what i'm looking for, there is father's day cash burning a hole in my pocket and a LN event close by this friday. just looking for some real world opinions. the turn ons for me are the size and thin kerf, but those are also the things i'm hoping aren't a burden...

any input appreciated, thank you.

-Roger
    I think the best input would be to go to the event and try out every saw they have. Give LN a call on their toll free number and see if they will have this saw at the LN event and they may even be able to have one on hand for you to buy on the spot if you like it. Call then as early in the week as you can.

When they came to Portland, they brought some items for me to try before the buy.

Your own experience with what they have at the tool event will count for a lot more than what anyone could relate second hand.

jim
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Is this saw .020" thick?

Quote Originally Posted by David Weaver View Post
    What is the tpi on it?
    11 tpi.

http://www.lie-nielsen.com/catalog.php?sku=TS

Roger,
    I have used several LN saws, including this one, as well as my Adria's. My opinion of the thin plate saw is that it works and feels like a very large dovetail saw. Their 12 and even 14 inch rip tenon saw is much heavier and the large teeth are more difficult to start for a beginner. At the end of the day you can't go wrong, the 16 inch saw is a good one.
    Gary

Quote Originally Posted by george wilson View Post
    Is this saw .020" thick?
    Yes the plate is .020 thick. I have it and it is a very nice saw....

Jim

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Koepke View Post

Your own experience with what they have at the tool event will count for a lot more than what anyone could relate second hand.

jim
    This is exactly what I did- I went to the show and tried several of the LN tenon saws. I ended up ordering the 16" thin plate saw, 11 ppi. Despite its size, it was just easier to use than the others. I found it was a breeze to control and it cut very fast. Also, as I didn't have a tenon saw at the time, I figured its large size was an advantage since it can cut tenons small OR large.

I just finished using it to cut some small tenons (1/2" in length) on a table I am making, and it was absolutely fantastic! Smooth smooth smooth is the only way I can describe. Not that other saws aren't as well, but I felt in my inexperienced hands at least, it was smoother/easier to use than the other offering they had at the show.
    Attached Images Attached Images