Thread: Used power tools

Used power tools

Hi Folks,

I've been noticing that used power tools really seem to hold their value exceptionally well. In the local papers (philly metro), good deals seem to be in the 60-80% of retail range for quality stuff and they don't last long. On eBay, some seem to sell for as much as a "good mail order deal" new. Especially so with table saws.

This doesn't apply to all stuff, but the name brands and popular models seem to regularly sell at near-retail prices. I've watched several PM 66s go for $1500-2100. With accessories, but still, that's amazing. Unisaws also seem to sell at very good, near-retail prices.

It also seems that many "old" machines still bring very good prices. I can't help wonder if a 15-year old Jet, Unisaw, or PM 66 isn't a better machine the way they're scooped up in a hurry.

So, who cares... well, it's convinced me that a good tool is a worthy investment. Not just from a productivity standpoint. Seems that if you shop hard for a good deal, you can get the majority of your money back one day....any day if you so choose. Money is money and sometimes its all about cashflow, but it seems that buying a "brand" tool, especially TS, is a can't lose proposition if you can afford the cost of entry. Like buying a Harley.

Now that I think about it, that's a good analogy when you consider all the accessories you "have to have".

Just rambling, but I'm surprised that good buys are so hard to find in the used tool market.

Rob

Rob:

Yes they are hard to find. I follow a local used goods paper and an occasional unisaw will pop up. There seems to be an never ending supply of compressor's, radial arm saws from Craftsman and 6" jointers.
    Rich

"If everyone is thinking alike, someone isn't thinking."
    - General George Patton Jr

Exclamation

Quote Originally Posted by Rich Konopka
    Rob:

Yes they are hard to find. I follow a local used goods paper and an occasional unisaw will pop up. There seems to be an never ending supply of compressor's, radial arm saws from Craftsman and 6" jointers.
    Uh Rich,

You interested in a Uni? How about a PM66?

How about 3 Unisaws and 5 PM66's? (Plus a big old Whitney?)

How about if they are on auction right now?

How about if they are in East Glastonbury, CT?

Nope. I'm not kidding. http://www.irsauctions.com/index_lot...etails&id=7423
    ---------------------------------------
    James Krenov says that "the craftsman lives in a
    condition where the size of his public is almost in
    inverse proportion to the quality of his work."
    (James Krenov, A Cabinetmaker's Notebook, 1976.)

I guess my public must be pretty huge then.

Used tools

All of my major shop tools were purchased used. The trick is to be patient (if you can) and wait for the right deal to come along. I bought a 15 year old PM66 with Biesemeyer fence, 52 inch rails and extension table for $950. It took over a year for that one to come along, but well worth the wait. Also, note that the saws in the IRS auction mentioned above have 3 phase motors. Good luck.

Yep I paid $1200 + shipping on my 1990 PM66 and long fence a couple of years ago. I was impatient. Make you list of wants, Single/3 phase, brand, fence, accessories etc set you max price and search. If you can I highly recommend going and looking at it if at all possible.

There are a couple of used tool dealer in you area. They have mostly LARGE industrial machines however.
    Chuck

When all else fails increase hammer size!
    "You can know what other people know. You can do what other people can do."-Dave Gingery

Talking

Older machines are like older woodworkers . . . They get better with age
    Jim Stastny ~ Damascus, Maryland
    A poor workman blames his tools

Quote Originally Posted by Tom LaRussa
    Uh Rich,

You interested in a Uni? How about a PM66?

How about 3 Unisaws and 5 PM66's? (Plus a big old Whitney?)

How about if they are on auction right now?

How about if they are in East Glastonbury, CT?

Nope. I'm not kidding. http://www.irsauctions.com/index_lot...etails&id=7423
    Tom,

This place is 5 minutes from my home. It is too bad that the saws are 3phase motors. Would it be as simple as getting a new motor???
    Rich

"If everyone is thinking alike, someone isn't thinking."
    - General George Patton Jr

Quote Originally Posted by Rich Konopka
    Tom,

This place is 5 minutes from my home. It is too bad that the saws are 3phase motors. Would it be as simple as getting a new motor???
    Yep. So long as you buy a good quality motor that matches up with the mounting scheme there would be no problem. It could get expensive though. On the other hand, if you put in a good motor there's no reason you'd ever have to buy another table saw...

What I'd do is shop around for good motors and find as much price info as possible on new versions of these saws, then go take a look at them and see at what point you'd come out ahead -- however you define "ahead".

By the way, did you look at the other listings at that location? (There are five "auctions" of up to 40 lots each.) They have a lot of other stuff like big cabinet clamps and such that would make the trip over there worthwhile on their own, IMHO.

http://www.irsauctions.com/index_lot...etails&id=7433

http://www.irsauctions.com/index_lot...etails&id=7434

http://www.irsauctions.com/index_lot...etails&id=7435

http://www.irsauctions.com/index_lot...etails&id=7437

Let us know if you do go down there. I've been dying to go to one of these machinery auctions but, unfortunately, I live in Florida, which is pretty much a woodworking-free zone.
    ---------------------------------------
    James Krenov says that "the craftsman lives in a
    condition where the size of his public is almost in
    inverse proportion to the quality of his work."
    (James Krenov, A Cabinetmaker's Notebook, 1976.)

I guess my public must be pretty huge then.