Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Manual-crank right-angle reduction gear box

Manual-crank right-angle reduction gear box

OK - today's wacko idea:

I would like to come off my DP table's manual height adjustment crank's shaft into a (2:1 or 3:1 reduction?) right-angle gearbox, with a shaft running to a handwheel in front of the table.

I don't know what or where to search for gearbox components. McMaster-Carr has right-angle reduction boxes in the stratospheric price range (multiple $$hundreds). That's not what I want to do.

Youse guys are all pretty smart. ??????

Thanks
    Kent
    When I started woodworking, I didn't know squat. I have progressed in 30 years - now I do know squat.

Try surpluscenter.com

Yup...what they said...surplus center is just a few miles from me. Done a bunch of business with them over the years. Good caster selection if your building carts or machine stands.

McMaster has miter gears, but only in 1:1 ratios. And you'd still be stuck with making a precision housing of some sort to hold them in the correct orientation. I've seen a right angle attachment for a drill used for a steering box on a pedal car. I'd think something like that would handle the torque requirement you have. But that's probably 1:1 too.

If you can stand having the crank on the side of the table, it'd be a lot easier to do with a chain or belt.

So what happens if you need to tilt the table?
    Husband to 1, father to 9
    2 girls and 7 boys (in that order)
    Life Is Full Of Blessings
    The Lord is my Rock and my Refuge.

Why bother with a crank or handwheel at all?

Not sure how much force it would have to stand, but you can buy those right angle gizmos for power drills fir very little. Those are probably 1:1, but you could make your crank larger. maybe you could tear into one of those and adapt it...

Quote Originally Posted by Aaron Berk View Post
    So what happens if you need to tilt the table?
    Then that would be the first time ever (12 years and counting).
    When I started woodworking, I didn't know squat. I have progressed in 30 years - now I do know squat.

I'm in - how do I do this? $$?

Quote Originally Posted by Brad Townsend View Post
    Why bother with a crank or handwheel at all?

Quote Originally Posted by Wes Grass View Post
    McMaster has miter gears, but only in 1:1 ratios. And you'd still be stuck with making a precision housing of some sort to hold them in the correct orientation. I've seen a right angle attachment for a drill used for a steering box on a pedal car. I'd think something like that would handle the torque requirement you have. But that's probably 1:1 too.

If you can stand having the crank on the side of the table, it'd be a lot easier to do with a chain or belt.
    Yeah - I saw that about McM-C. But - then I stumbled across worm gears - don't need a box - that was all I could think of at first. Worm gears come in a lot of different ratios - but they are all pretty high (low?) like 10:1 and up - I could live with that.

But, now you've got me thinking - with a sprocket on the adjustment shaft, then I could put another gear/sprocket out near the front and use a chain. The handwheel would not be parallel to the front of the table, but that's not an issue - it would still be easily accessible. Hmmmmmm.......

Kent,VERY cool!!

13. Could this work?

Kent

Maybe you could take the motor of on of these http://www.amazon.com/UPG-86025-Automotive-Tire-Jack/dp/B000B8US6C/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1277229274&sr =8-2

You would need a 12v supply.

Regards

Quote Originally Posted by Kent A Bathurst View Post
    I'm in - how do I do this? $$?
    About $40 for the motor:

http://www.surpluscenter.com/item.as...tname=electric

and probably another $15-20 for the switch, wire, etc.

I did a post on this in another forum. Since I'm not sure about the SMC policy about links to other forums, I am emailing you the link.

Quote Originally Posted by Brad Townsend View Post
    About $40 for the motor:

http://www.surpluscenter.com/item.as...tname=electric

and probably another $15-20 for the switch, wire, etc.

I did a post on this in another forum. Since I'm not sure about the SMC policy about links to other forums, I am emailing you the link.
    Got it - thanks. You ever figure out a remote operation gizmo for the table lock?