Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Walnut, Oak burl, Spalted Maple

Walnut, Oak burl, Spalted Maple

Walnut square, oak burl lid and an inside out spalted maple finial with an African blackwood accent.

11 1/2" square by aprox. 8 1/2" to the top of the finial. AO and buffed.

All comments and critiques welcomed. If you have a suggestion let me hear it.

Toney

Wow!! Talk about unique!! Beautiful wood...wonderful execution...and an intriguing design. Just wonderful.

I tried to find something to critique...just for fun...and the only thing I could think was maybe the cove at the bottom of the finial, could have been a little deeper, to make it a tad more feminine. But really...that's nitpickin'.

Excellent piece Toney.
    ~john
    "There's nothing wrong with Quiet" ` Jeremiah Johnson

I like the shape, design and finish very much! Not sure about so many different woods/colors/evengrain/burl. Too many nice things competing for my attention!

Very cool! I think the inside out finial is a really great accent! Man, I am so impressed with the work I see here at the Creek.....

Hutch

Blog Entries
    Toney this is a very nice piece great work and wood
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]Tom

Turning comes easy to some folks .... wish I was one of them

and only 958 miles SE of Steve Schlumpf

Toney that is a beautiful piece and some really nice work.
    Bernie

Never put off until tomorrow what you can do the day after tomorrow.

To succeed in life, you need three things: a wishbone, a backbone and a funnybone.

7. Thumbs up simply stunning!!!

Tony,

Great form, great execution, great use of complementing woods and the artistry is certainly there also. Great finish as well.

Beautiful piece Toney. As far as critique or comment, I have one one point. In my art training I have been told that you should never introduce a color in one spot only. All colors or textures should be reflected in other areas. There are of course exceptions to any rule. If the color tones ran a spectrum, light body medium lid dark finial, black point that would possibly work.

In that vein, I might suggest a walnut finial with a burl accent to reflect the walnut body and burl cap.

I gotta try one of those inside out finials. Nice job.
    Retired - when every day is Saturday (unless it's Sunday).

Quote Originally Posted by Thom Sturgill View Post
    Beautiful piece Toney. As far as critique or comment, I have one one point. In my art training I have been told that you should never introduce a color in one spot only. All colors or textures should be reflected in other areas. There are of course exceptions to any rule. If the color tones ran a spectrum, light body medium lid dark finial, black point that would possibly work.....
    I see your point Thom....but I'd like to ask a question. (not argument...just a thought) Considering that, with the exception of the black tip, does it flow through its spectrum, bottom to top...dark to light?

What I see that is pleasing is that the oak burl, with its extreme lights and darks, creates a transistion interface between the walnut and the maple. Then the black tip brings a final darkness for the maple to compliment back to the oak burl.

Anyway...I like it. I was just wondering about your thoughts about that.
    ~john
    "There's nothing wrong with Quiet" ` Jeremiah Johnson

Fantastic... I love the main body and lid on this piece. The shape of the main form is pleasing to me, and the lid blends very nicely.

Not a critique, but a thought... I would have considered a knob rather than a finial. Perhaps a square knob with a curved top to reflect some of the detail in the form itself. I like it very much the way it is, but I always look at the turnings posted here and try to come up with mental variations.

WOW! Don't know what else to say, but I needed 10 characters. By the way, did I mention WOW!
    Brian

Sawdust Formation Engineer
    in charge of Blade Dulling

WOW!!!!!!That's something I don't think I've seen before. GREAT piece of work. I love the design.
    Donny

Yes, I have a suggestion.

Keep doing what you're doing - it's fantastic!!!

Toney, you discussed before finding a signature style, and I think you are there!! This is a beautiful piece - just an excellent job on the detail work, and the form is fantastic. You have these inside out finials nailed!!

It is so easy to look at a piece once it is finished and find things one might do differently, and even then, one never really knows if the "shoulda done that" would have worked.

Quote Originally Posted by John Hart View Post
    ...and the only thing I could think was maybe the cove at the bottom of the finial, could have been a little deeper, to make it a tad more feminine.
    I just love it when Hart's feminine side comes out! It just gives me a warm and fuzzy! I think the cove could be a little deeper, but I would have picked another adjective - maybe delicate, elegant.... but, if Hart is comfortable with "feminine" I guess that is OK.

And, I understand the discussion on pulling together the color scheme. I guess one could have put in a narrow black band on the lid, but honestly I think this piece works like it is. I generally don't like more than three colors/textures on anything - a house, a turning, etc. But, sometimes deviating from the norm works - and, this one does!

Great piece!

Toney - I like it! Everything flows well together - woods, colors and form. Exceptionally nice work! Thanks for sharing!
    Steve

“You never know what you got til it's gone!”
    Please don’t let that happen!
    Become a financial Contributor today!