Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Chuck envy

Quote Originally Posted by Craig Fyock
    A friend and I both bought a PSI Import chuck. I might as well have thrown $80.00 out my truck window.....
    PSI is supposed to have a "no questions asked" return policy. Did you try for a refund from PSI??

No I havent tried. I purchased it through one of their re-sellers so dont know if that counts or not. I will hae to try. Oh, I had forgotten that on the first piece I chucked up when tightening the chuck one of the ears on the tightening bars broke off so I had to go b some drill stem and make my own tightening bar to replace the one that the ear broke off of. I will try tomorrow and let you know what PSI says.... Thanks for the input....
    Craig Fyock

Member: Dallas Area Woodturnes
    Hunt County Woodturners

Thanks to all those who sacrifice to keep us safe and free!!!

Everyone will tell you SuperNova, Talon, Stronghold ... but I have another to consider -- VICMARC

These are awesome chucks. I have a 140 (the 5 1/2" version) and never have lost a blank out of it. The hex key is much better way to tighten too. You might be better served with the 120 (3.5"). If you can swing it, get a set of Shark Jaws for it... hold just like the name.

Used to be able to order from Australia cheaper than buying in the US but the dollar is down so it's a wash. The VicMarc 120 is a great deal and about the same price as the Talon.

Another consideration is the new SuperNova-2 .. haven't used one but it looks just like the VM140 and TeknaTool makes a good chuck. The original SuperNova was a good piece of equipment and the new one has HexKey like the VicMarc's.
    Mike-in-Michigan (Richland that is) <br> "We never lack opportunity, the trouble is many don't recognize an opportunity when they see it, mostly because it usually comes dressed in work clothes...."

Good point, Mike. Vicmarc makes an excellent chuck that is also well-liked in the community.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Hey Craig, throw that chuck my way I love those cheapies!!!
    I bought a $37 chuck from Grizzly and have very good luck with it.
    Then again, I fiddle with everything to make it work how "I" want it to work.

Quote Originally Posted by John Shuk
    I don't know the budget but I bought a SuperNova from KMS tools on Ebay (they have their own site as well) and could not have gotten more for the money. I priced everything I got from them at other sources and it was all in the $500 PLUS range. From KMS it was $300. Shipping was fast and they now have the Suprnova2 which looks really nice. I would say that the Oneways chucks are nicer than my original Supernova but I made out like a fat rat and have accessories that I would otherwise try to do without rather than spend the money. Just my 2 cents worth.
    I have no affiliation just liked there price AND service.
    I'm with John on this one. Looked at them all, and the KMS deal was too good to pass up. I've been happy.