Thread: Source for Really Soft Felt/ Table Pad Backing

Source for Really Soft Felt/ Table Pad Backing

A client wants me to make matching table pads for a table I've just completed, and I'd like to use a velvet-smooth felt for backing the pads. Anybody done something like this, and know a source? I know that woodworker's supply sells sheets of adhesive-backed felt....I'd just like to know that it wouldn't mar the table. The tabletop is sapele, topcoated with SW Sherwood moisture resistant lacquer, medium-rubbed sheen. The pads will be made out of 1/2" MDF-cored sapele.
    Should I be concerned that once fully felt-backed, the pads could warp?

Thanks in advance.

Picture of table....expanding leaf to 115":
    Attached Images Attached Images

Another shot...a detail of the sliding dovetail I used to hold the apron to the expanding leaves. Don't worry, I cleaned up the end grain of the apron.
    This picture was taken by a professional photographer, so please excuse the props (the chamfer plane)...but what a difference good photography makes.

Should I be thinking of another material? Shamwow? Ultrasuede?
    Attached Images Attached Images

You can find felt at any fabric store and adhere it with spray adhesive.

Isn't half inch veneered mdf overkill? It's going to be very heavy. Most of the table pads I've seen are just plastic covered heavy fiberboard or something similar for the top, with the felt bottom. Typically the vinyl top runs across several sections so some of the pad sections are hinged together, and so liquids don't have as many open joints to run between.

Here is an example http://www.pioneertablepads.com/tab4.htm that shows one company's construction.

Steve, I was wondering if there were grades of felt, like steel wool, for instance; some softer than others.

I might go with 1/4"MDF core sapele....I just don't want something that'll get weird when I glue the felt to the underside. I thought that 1/2" stock would better resist that.

Walt,

Why do you want to hide that beautiful table?
    Scott

Finishing is an 'Art & a Science'. Actually, it is a process. You must understand the properties and tendencies of the finish you are using. You must know the proper steps and techniques, then you must execute them properly.

Scott, It's not up to me...it's the client's call. They don't want to necessarily hide the table...they just don't trust themselves around it. I bandied about different options...cheap covers, plexiglass....they decided on really spiffy table pads. Hey....more work for me.

The wife was concerned because she put a felt-padded vase, empty, overnight, on the table, and has told me that the felt left a mark. (the lacquer had cured for at least a week by then) So I'm just going to make sure that the backing I'm going to use is smoooooooth, buddy.
    Walt

Did you look at the mark? Was it an abrasion mark? or was it something that might have been a chemical interation between the felt (or its adhesive). I'd be troubled with a finish that marked from a clean felt pad on an empty vase until I knew there was sand on it, or that it's wasn't felt but plastic, etc.

Haven't seen the mark. I'll see it next week. I'm thinking that the vase might have had really old, compacted felt on it's bottom (think lots of condensation cycles), and scuffed the table.
    Thanks for the input.

A fully dry lacquer finish should not leave imprints from felt... I have never used this particular product.

By chance did you put a sanding sealer under it? SS are very soft.

By looking at the specs on this finish; it says its for door cabintes and trim... Tables need a durable hard varnish or a pre or post cat-lacquer.

per their site "...solvent based, nitrocellulose type, clear, finishes for interior wood surfaces such as doors, cabinetry and trim."

the word TYPE concerns me.
    Scott

Finishing is an 'Art & a Science'. Actually, it is a process. You must understand the properties and tendencies of the finish you are using. You must know the proper steps and techniques, then you must execute them properly.