Thread: Induction motor tune-up??

Induction motor tune-up??

I've got my 3/4HP JET bandsaw motor (single phase) torn apart and am waiting for the new bearings to arrive.

Aside from replacing the bearings, what other cleaning and lubrication should I be doing? Is there a good tutorial on the web that explains this process?

Jason

There's not much to tune up beyond replacing the bearings. Make sure the centrifugal switch mechanism is clean and moves freely and that it all goes back together properly. Make sure that you have a properly connected ground and properly insulated/capped electrical connections with no exposed conductors.

Pete

You can replace the capacitor if you want- they tend to leak after a while. However, you could just wait until it fails, since they aren't difficult to replace.

Don't lubricate the centrifugal switch unless it was lubed. When installing bearings, push on the inner ring only when mounting on a shaft and on the outer ring only when mounting in a housing.

Dumb question --

Which part is the "centrifugal switch?" Not sure what it looks like. Anybody got a picture of one?

Jason

Quote Originally Posted by kenneth kayser View Post
    Don't lubricate the centrifugal switch unless it was lubed. When installing bearings, push on the inner ring only when mounting on a shaft and on the outer ring only when mounting in a housing.

There are all different designs for centrifugal switches. If you look at the rotor, you will see something attached to it that has some arrangement of weights and springs. That's the centrifugal part. When it's spinning the springs stretch out and some part of it opens a switch. There are a lot of designs for the switch too, but the switch doesn't spin so it's attached to the case at the same end as the centrifugal mechanism.

this picture will give you a general idea:

Pete

What picture?

Quote Originally Posted by Pete Bradley View Post
    There are all different designs for centrifugal switches. If you look at the rotor, you will see something attached to it that has some arrangement of weights and springs. That's the centrifugal part. When it's spinning the springs stretch out and some part of it opens a switch. There are a lot of designs for the switch too, but the switch doesn't spin so it's attached to the case at the same end as the centrifugal mechanism. this picture will give you a general idea: Pete

Jason? Did you wear your BS motor out? 1000s of hours can take it's toll. If the motor is in need of bearings, no doubt the BS is also.

Otherwise, IMO, If it ain't broke, don't be fixing it!
    [/SIGPIC]Necessisity is the Mother of Invention, But If it Ain't Broke don't Fix It !!

I've already changed the wheel bearings in the saw. I bought very expensive (and hopefully high-quality) German-made ones from Iturra Design.

I'm just waiting for the new motor bearings to show up. Boy, Reid Supply is slooooow........

JASON

Quote Originally Posted by Chip Lindley View Post
    Jason? Did you wear your BS motor out? 1000s of hours can take it's toll. If the motor is in need of bearings, no doubt the BS is also. Otherwise, IMO, If it ain't broke, don't be fixing it!
    Last edited by Jason White; 06-25-2010 at 10:52 AM.