Thread: Hidden end leafs for 10ft table

Post Hidden end leafs for 10ft table

Am building a frank Lloyd wright inspired dining table. Client wants a 24" leaf on both ends that when pulled out it is flush with the top. I am stumped for a method for doing this. Any help is appreciated. Maybe a link to something on the web that can help

I own one that does this

Not one I made (I believe it came from Dansk? furniture).

The top section simply sits on top of the pull outs. Each pull out is 1/2 the length of the table. They have rails that extend underneath, and when you pull it out the top section drops down and becomes the middle section flush with the pull outs.

If interested I may be able to get some pics up. Its a VERY simple mechanism (basically just two rails on the pull outs).

The disadvantage is that both sides must be extended at once or the middle section sits on a tilt.

Blog Entries
    We had a similar table many years ago, but the rails were tapered so that if one side was pulled out the center section still stayed level. In fact there was a short section maybe a foot long in the center that held the center piece in place.
    Lee Schierer
    USNA '71
    Go Navy!

My advice, comments and suggestions are free, but it costs money to run the site. If you found something of value here please give a little something back by becoming a contributor! Please Contribute

Refractory leaves

Do an internet search on "refectory" or "refractory" table or leaves. You should find enough information to design and finish the project. If you can't find sufficient information on it, send me a message and I'll send you some pictures of my antique table.

There's some good info on this page: http://www.sapfm.org/archive/index.php?topic_id=1026
    Last edited by Tom Hammond; 07-07-2010 at 11:38 PM.

Drawer Leaf Table

I saw your post and had to reply. I developed a table that has its extensions in a drawer and the extension sit on the drawers. The table is 104" without the extensions and then you can add 20" per side bringing it to 144".
    Please look here and tell me what you think.

Allen
    BTW, Matt it was nice to speak to you.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Allen Panigel; 09-16-2010 at 11:43 AM.