Thread: Nyvall and Peacock Rigs Revived

Nyvall and Peacock Rigs Revived

About two and a half years ago, two very fine people made me two very fine gifts. Dennis Peacock made an awesome steady rest, and Ernie Nyvall made an awesome hollowing rig....both custom made for my lathe.

I had been making vases for a while, using some long, stout homemade tools, and had pretty much reached my limitation of those. Ernie and Dennis definitely expanded my horizons in one felled swoop.

Then, just a month or so later, disaster struck my family....then again...then again...and again. In fact, the reason I stopped visiting SMC was because I just couldn't justify any outside activity other than getting my family and our home intact.

During my 2 year absence....the two rigs suffered neglect...as did many things. They rusted and froze, and I worried that they may not recover. But over the past few days, I've worked diligently to get these two wonderful gifts back into operation.

This is not a gloat...and it is not an exclamation of accomplishment. It is an apology to two very fine people, who put their hearts and their sweat into something special....and I nearly squandered that generosity.

I am pleased to say that I have started a vase using these tools and they work just as wonderfully as the first day. Still a tad rusty....but I'll keep at it.

Thanks again guys.....I'm back in business.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    ~john
    "There's nothing wrong with Quiet" ` Jeremiah Johnson

John,

I don't know what you are talking about (regarding your family's misfortune), but I salute the eloquence of your statement. Welcome back and better fortune in the future.

John, my friend, I demand the right to disagree with you.....something we don't do often or take lightly.

You had some obligations that took priority in your life over turning and using these fine gifts from two friends.

I know I think more of you for the route you chose and I am sure the other two fellows do too!

I missed you banter and your friendship. It was a quiet two years but with you back in heart and mind....it was certainly worth the wait, my friend!
    Ken

So much to learn, so little time.....

Awesome story, John, and looks like they live again!!

5. Craftsman 217170

John,

I noticed the picture of your craftsman lathe. I had the same model, and it broke a gear shaft, and since it is out of manufacture, I could not find a replacement part anywhere, and to have one machined would have been about $1000.00, [more than what I paid for the lathe] so I just scrapped it to a metal recycle yard.

I wish I had known you had one, and I would have saved the motor and controller which were still good, and let you have them for spare parts for yours.

I had no idea. I hope yours serves you long and well.

Sounds like you've got your priorities in the right order. The vortex is strong, but it's not stronger than family.

Glad you got it up and running, but you've got a little work ahead of you getting all that 'patina' off that hollowing rig.

Glad to see that you finally have enough free time to start using your turning tools again! Looking forward to seeing photos of those tools when they are all shiny again from use!
    Steve

“You never know what you got til it's gone!”
    Please don’t let that happen!
    Become a financial Contributor today!

Blessings to you, John. Well said, and even more well done. Naval Jelly works wonders.
    Allen
    The good Lord didn't create anything without a purpose, but mosquitoes come close.
    And.... I'm located just 1,075 miles SW of Steve Schlumpf.

Well John, there is certainly no apology necessary, but thanks for the message. I knew there was some rough road for you, and never even thought about whether or not you were taking care of or using the tools. Sheez My only concern was for you to hang in there for the light at the end of the tunnel.

You call that rust? Come down here in this 900% humidity and you'll see rust.

Say, in that first pic, there is something different about the piece that is supposed to hold the back rest to the ways. The bolt is real long for one thing. Anyway, if something broke, didn't fit, or was misplaced, just let me know and I'll whip up another one... better this time if it broke or didn't fit.

Glad to see you back my friend. Keep on keepin on.

Thanks everyone...Yes, it was a long haul, and I'm glad we've swum through the worst of it. Sure makes you appreciate "normal" a lot more...and everyday disasters don't seem so big anymore.

Quote Originally Posted by Ernie Nyvall View Post
    You call that rust? Come down here in this 900% humidity and you'll see rust.
    Actually...No..I don't call that rust...I call that "Cleaned Up". Sheesh...you should have seen it. No wait...no, you shouldn't have seen it. The rig was covered with rust 100% and it was that heavy bubbly kind. I couldn't even get it to fit in the backrest. I had to beat the heavy layer off with a hammer...then wire wheel...then sanding. Removing the set screws was an archaeological expedition...and there were lots of long soaks with Liquid Wrench. One straight boring bar was a total loss.

Allen..that sounds like a good idea to use Naval Jelly for the last bit. I think I'll give that a try.

Quote Originally Posted by Ernie Nyvall View Post
    Say, in that first pic, there is something different about the piece that is supposed to hold the back rest to the ways. The bolt is real long for one thing. Anyway, if something broke, didn't fit, or was misplaced, just let me know and I'll whip up another one... better this time if it broke or didn't fit.
    Thanks...but I think it's ok. I'm pretty sure that the long bolt is the one you sent, and I normally had it going down through the ways instead of sticking up like that. But really...it works fine. You've done enough Ernie. I'm good to go.

Quote Originally Posted by Roger
    ...I wish I had known you had one, and I would have saved the motor and controller which were still good, and let you have them for spare parts for yours.
    Thanks for the thought Roger. I bought this lathe new, about 12 years ago, and it has served me well. I've had great luck in getting all the parts I've needed from Sears (gone through a couple of controllers, brushes, and other stuff) Hopefully, that luck will continue.

Ken....I missed you too. And, No...I don't disagree with you because I'm sure that if I had not chosen that path...there would have been no future in a lot of things. Your influence and friendship guided me in that direction in ways that you don't even know. Which is why your autographed cover of Rocky Mountain Woodturner will be enshrined in my library.

Thanks again y'all.
    ~john
    "There's nothing wrong with Quiet" ` Jeremiah Johnson

John my friend I am also glad you are back. I missed your posts, to much lacquer , hic and your friendship. I still use the epoxy cocktail you told me about and everytime I used it I thought about you. I still have several turnings from wood I got from you displayed in my cabinet with a note This wood is from John Hart.

Glad to have you back John and I am glad that things worked out for you.
    Bernie

Never put off until tomorrow what you can do the day after tomorrow.

To succeed in life, you need three things: a wishbone, a backbone and a funnybone.

I didn't know you before, but have enjoyed your thoughtful comments and sense of humor since you have returned. I'm glad you are back and that your life is moving toward blissful normalcy. If you're ever out west, stop by and we'll pop the top off a can of Deft and solve the world's problems.