Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: What's up w TIVO?

What's up w TIVO?

As the holidays approach, I'm thinking of springing for A TIVO for LOML (Of course, I would get some "limited"benefits of recording D. Mark's Shows). What is the deal? I'm no techno whiz but I'm hearing about cable alternatives (We have Comcast). What are advantages and disadvantages of each? Thanks for your input and advice? Jerry (confused buyer)
    Jerry

Good question...I would like to get a system and don't know much about the advantages of each.
    "All great work starts with love .... then it is no longer work"

The major disadvantages for TIVO are that you have to pay a subscription fee for the service and they use your view and recording habits for marketing research. Comcast does offer it with no subscription fee (if you don't include the box lease cost), but I think they do monitor what is recorded. An advantage with Comcast is that you do not own the equipment, so if something goes wrong, it is their problem. It also eliminates yet another device from your living room.

There is another option that I have been using for the past year. I have an ATI All-In-Wonder TV tuner/video card for my computer. It has a TIVO like service with no fees. There are a few ads in the TV Guide plus software for the TV listings, but it is not much of a hassle. You can also burn your TV shows to a CD or DVD for future watching on your regular TV through the DVD player. You can also connect the computer directly to the TV for watching what you record and using the computer from the couch.

Dan
    A flute without holes, is not a flute. A donut without a hole, is a Danish.

All the various boxes out there that are like the Tivo record programs for you to a hard drive. What you need to look for is the amount of programming that can be stored onto the drive. Tivo will let you record things a lower resolution so that you can store more at the expense of the picture. The Dish Network PVR (which I have) does not allow for changing the resolution of the picture so what ever amount they say can be recorded is what you can record. Tivo boxes list the total amount of programming that can be stored at the lowest resolution. I do own or have ever run a Tivo box so I cannot comment on the picure quality at lowest resolution.

From the basics there are all sorts of options available. Recording multiple programs at the same time (requires multiple tuners) dumping the programs to a DVD-R disk, ablility to record HD programming (drastically reduces the amount of programming you can store on your machine).

Before you settle on any machine try to test drive each of the options out there, including the bells and whistles for each machine. Find out how to skip ahead to skip the commercials, Dish Network has a 30 second skip ahead where as Tivo has you fast forward through the commercials. Not sure about the Motorola unit that Comcast has available. Also be aware that they all have a monthly subscription cost associated with them as well. For Dish Network it's $5/month and I assume it's the same for Tivo and the others.

Also make sure that what ever box you end up with, that it is compatible with what ever cable/satellite system you have.

HTH
    -Michael
    I can pay retail anywhere, so how's your service?
    Grabbing defeat from the jaws of victory one project at a time
    Maker of precision cut firewood

Quote Originally Posted by Jerry Olexa
    As the holidays approach, I'm thinking of springing for A TIVO for LOML (Of course, I would get some "limited"benefits of recording D. Mark's Shows). What is the deal? I'm no techno whiz but I'm hearing about cable alternatives (We have Comcast). What are advantages and disadvantages of each? Thanks for your input and advice? Jerry (confused buyer)
    Hi Jerry, I've had TIVO with Direct TV for two years now and I don't know how I did with out it. It's the best invention since... well air conditioning.

But seriously it can record 40 to 80 hrs. of shows and it's VERY easy to use and record with. It has a list of all the shows you recorded and they are very simple to access. I can go on and on; I just love this thing. And that's the way all the people I talk to about it feel. Please feel free to ask any questions you may have on My set up. I'm no expert; just a very well satisfied owner. Alan in Md.
    Alan T. Thank God for every pain free day you live.

I've briefly looked at TIVO, but not pulled the plug yet. I know Jack Diemer has had his for about 4-5 years. They have different size (hard drive) units, but I believe they are all upgradeable if you need more. I know TIVO at one time offered a lifetime charge, which paid for itself within a couple of years. Not sure if they still have it.

I will probably go with a system from the cable provider when I build my new house. I know TIVO financiallythas been experiencing losses since the providers began offering their own, not sure how that will play out in the long run. With cable I imagine I can cancel the serice if not satisfied, whereas if you buy a TIVO unit you still have to plunk out the $$$'s for the unit.
    Scott C. in KC
    Befco Designs

I too, have been looking at TIVO. Never figured out how to record to VCR from new type cable box. From what I gather TIVO is pretty simple. Just pick a program and tell it to record it. I do know that you can get a 40G or 80G recorder and most places have a rebate on the machine of around $100. You can pay monthly [I think it is $12.95] or you can pay one time $199 service fee, at least I think that's the right figure. Obviously one time works out better in the long run, but............
    TIVO now has a combo box that will also burn DVD's of what you have recorded. As I recall that would be about 5 bills for the box and the lifetime service, not counting rebate.
    They also have DVD recorders that operate much like VCR. I was thinking about that, but decided if I couldn't figure out how to record to VCR I probably wasn't going to figure out how to record to DVD. Besides even if I did, I don't think LOML could ever figure it out.
    Still trying to figure out what to do........
    Karl
    Creeker Visits. They're the best.

I have TiVo and love it! If you have kids, it's a MUST...you actually get to watch a whole TV show

Basically I agree w/ most of what has been said so far. If you have Tivo with DirectTv it's $5/month. But if you get the DirectTV box/DVR combo box, you have an 'old' version of TiVo. TiVo is hurting a bit financially, and they get a lot of revenue from DirectTV customers. But the two companies are fighting, DirectTV is coming out w/ their own DVR and the combo DTV/TiVo boxes aren't the latest-greatest Tivo software. So all the features you see w/ 'series 2' tivo DirectTV/TiVo doesn't support. Just be aware that Tivo and DirectTV are having a good old fight and how it turns out in the end - who knows...

Can't speak for other DVR/PVR, but tivo has two boxes - series 1 and series 2. If you get new one it will be series 2. And if you get a 'plain Tivo box' (not a DirectTV/TiVo box) you will have access to the new features of series 2 - ability to network the tivo box, future ability to download the shows to computer, download pictures and music to Tivo box from computer, and they say more is coming. Series 1 boxes doesn't have these features, and are a bit slower (when you select a show to record as an example) but you might be able to pick up a used series 1 box real cheap or almost free.

My favorite things:
    - Ability to 'season pass' a show - you tell it to record all 'Wood Works' shows and it will. So I come home and check what was recorded and watch those shows. I hardly ever watch shows now that weren't recorded ahead of time.
    - Easily select shows to record. You get a 'grid' of the TV schedule and you literelly just hit a button. That easy. And it will 99% of the time 'adjust' if the show times change. Occationally it will get it wrong if the show doesn't broadcast at the scheduled time, but very rarely. Tivo does a pretty good job of keeping this info up-to-date.
    - Fast forward through commercials! Although the rumor is this feature will be getting some changes - Popup ad windows will show up when you fast forward starting March - I heard. Still, it's cut my 'TV time' down by 20%. (e.g. a Wood Works show is exactly 20 minutes long, after you cut out all the commercials. NYW on PBS - 25 minutes. On HGTV - 21 Minutes...
    - Pause live TV. I initially didn't think this was a big deal. But now I love it. I'm watching a show that's very interesting and I can pause it when the phone rings, or the kids come up and 'ask a question'.
    - Rewind live TV. I find myself using this a lot too. Especially during News. I'll hear a story, but miss something about it...no problems, just rewind!

These are the things I really like about it. The thing is with a dedicated computer and a ATI (or other brand) video capture card, you can make a DVR out of a computer. It will be more $$$ for the initial setup, but no monthly fee, and I'm sure there is other flexibility in getting what you want. I'm sure the computer setup works very well with cable, but don't know how well it works with satellite dishes.

As far as cable alternatives - don't know a whole lot about them. From 'rumors from friends' I don't think they have as many features and the menus aren't quite as user friendly. But they seem to be more flexible in the 'multi-room watching' ability - i.e. ability to watch a recorded show in a different room. Can't swear to this. TiVo has this feature in the Series 2 boxes, but I think they charge extra for it.

So yes - they are very nice! A very satified customer.

Perry

I have Dish Network's PVR - works fine about 30 hours of recording. The new version has 100 hours of recording. They have one version that is dual tuner - you can watch one program and record another - which is available ONLY to new subscribers. They also have a receiver that is dual tuner/100 hour recording time/HDTV receiver. As I don't have a HDTV I'm not going to spring for the new receiver now.

Dish Network owns the equipment, and I just pay a monthly service fee. I'll upgrade my receivers when the dual tuner non HDTV unit becomes available.

Get something with a dual tuner if you can, or set it up as a seperate end point, with the TV on another input. You want to be able to record one and watch another.

Greg

Another alternative

www.replaytv.com. A few years ago SWMBO snagged a Panasonic ShowStopper for $99 including a lifetime subscription to the program guide. I've heard the Replay unit doesn't have as many bells & whistles as TiVo, but it has more features than I use and works well with directTV.

The PC based PVR is interesting from a DVD burning/editing standpoint. One provider is SnapSteam (www.snapsteam.com) I've heard the video quality of the video card systems isn't as good as dedicated units, but I have no personal experience.

Curt

One thing about Tivo...it's been reported recently that they may start to insert ads on the screen while you're fast-forwarding by the ads, as it were...
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Couple other notes:

ReplayTV: Lots of good features, lots of 'networking' type features. But their 'commercial skip' feature that they really made a big name for isn't offered anymore. Now it's a 30 second skip, which means you have to hit it multiple times. A word of caution though - I looked at a sight that had lots of negative feedback from ReplayTV owners that the HW was very bad. Something to look into more...

DirectTV/Tivo: The big difference between 'regular TiVo' and DirectTV/Tivo is the DTV/TiVo has a dual tuner - so you can watch a show while it's recording another. (Or record two shows at once while watching a third show already recorded.) We actually use this feature a lot. It's VERY nice. A lot of the DVRs don't have this feature - yet. I think some (like Dish) are coming out w/ these units. So something to watch for - dual tuner capability.

Ads: Yes, the 'rumor' is starting in March, because of pressure from networks, TiVo will be doing pop-up ads when you fast forward. If they're doing it, I bet it's just a matter of time before others are doing the same thing.

Perry

We have TIVO (for about 3 or 4 years) - one of the original versions. The newer ones have larger hard drives. We love it and rarerly watch "live" TV - it is easier to fast forward thru the commercials (an hour show can be watched in 45-50 minutes ). The two disadvantages - our model cannot burn a DVD so everything I want to save (Norm, David Marks etc) must go to tape. Second, you cannot TIVO one program while watching another one "live" (you can however watch something that you previously TIVOed while TIVOing another program). The current TIVOs also do not do HDTV although I hear that a "future enhancement".

My son has built a PC DVR that he loves. He is still working out some of the bugs but he rarely uses his TIVO now.
    Dan McLaughlin

I have had Tivo for 2 years with a life time subscription for the Life of the unit and it is not transferable to a new unit. There is a cost associated with the unit and the monthly fee or life time unit subscription which pays for it self in two years.

I honestly cannot watch TV any other way. It also allows for me to watch TV when I want.

I would look at the cable option only in that they provide the unit for a small fee along with programming. The only thing I can't tell you is how good their menus and program guides are.
    Rich

"If everyone is thinking alike, someone isn't thinking."
    - General George Patton Jr

Quote Originally Posted by Jerry Olexa

Jerry,

Comcast now has a DVR Cable Box, I just got mine Friday. I use the HD Cable box and was expecting the Motorola DCT6208 which is a single tuner HD box. When the installer showed up I asked about the Dual tuner box, the DCT6412 and He said that's what He was carrying. You can record 2 programs at a time or watch one and record on the other. Don't know if they have a regular Digital Cable box but you could check the Comcast site. So far I really like the DVR, I used to tape everything on VCR in the bedroom then watch it on the TV in the family room. Much easier with the DVR. The amount of what you can record depends on if it analog, digital or a HD show. Not sure how you can save what's on the DVR, haven't tried that yet.

Pete