Thread: Bonding a laser mirror to metal plate

Bonding a laser mirror to metal plate

I am replacing a mirror on my laser and need to bond it to the metal carrier plate. It is a silicon mirror. Any suggestions? I am inclined to use epoxy but thought I would ask first.

BTW - do most of the "low power" laser engravers use silicon mirrors? Has anyone seen copper mirrors on these machines or is that used only for high power industrial lasers?

I always thought mine were polished steel that is gold plated? I used superglue on one of mine when it came off its mount plate as I wanted a superthin very rigid bond. Its still on 3 yrs down the line
    We clean em with lens cleaner tissue and lens cleaner (Kodak), however if you use acetone , the superglue might not hold?
    http://www.eoc-inc.com/lbp/substrates_silicon.htm say this however
    Heat transfer compound is often used on the back of Silicon mirrors to sink heat away to a cooling pad. Many brands of heat transfer compound are very strongly absorbing in the infra red, and the slightest residue on optical surfaces of the paste will cause severe absorption and rapid destruction of the mirror. See our technical document about contamination of laser optics
    Not sure if this applies to you
    Last edited by Rodne Gold; 06-23-2010 at 12:46 PM.
    Rodney Gold, Toker Bros trophies, Cape Town , South Africa :
    Roland 2300 rotary . 3 x ISEL's ..1m x 500mm CnC .
    Tekcel 1200x2400 router , 900 x 600 60w Shenui laser , 1200 x 800 80w Reci tube Shenhui Laser
    6 x longtai lasers 400x600 60w , 1 x longtai 20w fiber
    2x Gravo manual engravers , Roland 540 large format printer/cutter. CLTT setup
    1600mm hot and cold laminator , 3x Dopag resin dispensers , sandblasting setup, acid etcher

Blog Entries
    You should be able to use most anything that will stick to both substances. Heating is not an issue with our low-power systems until the mirror is so heavily scratched as to become undesirable (we're talking milliWatts of power loss here).
    Hi-Tec Designs, LLC -- Owner (and self-proclaimed LED guru )

Trotec 80W Speedy 300 laser w/everything
    CAMaster Stinger CNC (25" x 36" x 5")
    USCutter 24" LaserPoint Vinyl Cutter
    Jet JWBS-18QT-3 18", 3HP bandsaw
    Robust Beauty 25"x52" wood lathe w/everything
    Jet BD-920W 9"x20" metal lathe
    Delta 18-900L 18" drill press

Flame Polisher (ooooh, FIRE!)
    Freeware: InkScape, Paint.NET, DoubleCAD XT
    Paidware: Wacom Intuos4 (Large), CorelDRAW X5

I'd be inclined to try silicone adhesive just because it's easliy reversable.
    Mike Null

St. Louis Laser, Inc.

Trotec Speedy 300, 80 watt
    Gravograph IS400
    Woodworking shop CLTT and Laser Sublimation
    Dye Sublimation
    CorelDraw X5, X7

Epoxy

I used an epoxy resin on my carriage mirror over 3 years ago, when it came apart. Still seems fine (touch wood!)

I have never had to do it but I would use epoxy. (that's what they use to bond the 100% mirror to the end of the tube, isin't it ?).

Paul.