Thread: New Shopsmith Power Pro

New Shopsmith Power Pro

Shopsmith introduced there new Power Pro headstock today.
    Has some cool features.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K8Pb_...layer_embedded
    "Remember back in the day, when things were made by hand, and people took pride in their work?"
    - Rick Dale

That's pretty slick. What's next, a wireless connection to the Internet?

Quote Originally Posted by Phil Thien View Post
    That's pretty slick. What's next, a wireless connection to the Internet?
    Or a wireless cell phone you can check your e-mail on.
    "Remember back in the day, when things were made by hand, and people took pride in their work?"
    - Rick Dale

Did you watch the installation video? They say it takes 4 hours to retrofit the thing.

Jason

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Lehnert View Post
    Shopsmith introduced there new Power Pro headstock today.
    Has some cool features.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K8Pb_...layer_embedded

Quote Originally Posted by Jason White View Post
    Did you watch the installation video? They say it takes 4 hours to retrofit the thing.

Jason
    That's because every time you need to change from a screwdriver to a wrench or socket, you have to fold the thing up and move the motor assembly into a different configuration.

Kris

I'm glad to see that the first run is already sold out. Shopsmith could use a big win...

Not a fan of the button under plastic setup. Those things tend to crack and get messed up pretty easily overtime. I would have preferred to see discrete buttons for longevity sake. Also would look nicer IMO.
    Last edited by Mr. Jeff Smith; 06-24-2010 at 3:00 PM. Reason: spelling

Quote Originally Posted by Jason White View Post

Jason
    If you are not familiar with Shopsmith one thing they are know for is making every new feature they offer as an available upgrade to current owners. No need to buy a new unit.

The new headstock is also available complete for purchase or you may send in your old headstock to the factory for the upgrade.
    - Rick Dale

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Lehnert View Post
    If you are not familiar with Shopsmith one thing they are know for is making every new feature they offer as an available upgrade to current owners. No need to buy a new unit.

The new headstock is also available complete for purchase or you may send in your old headstock to the factory for the upgrade.
    Just wish that upgrade wasn't so expensive. I think it's worth the money, but it's going to be awhile before it floats to the top of my must have list. Will really be sweet for the Lathe and Drill press modes, maybe sanding too. And shop made attachments...

This announcement is great news. I am really anxious to see this Power Pro in action and even more anxious to get my hands on one. With the increased speed range and increased horsepower, the Shopsmith will be one fantastic machine for any hobby woodworker, especially a turner.

The design of the new control panel, I believe, will not be a problem. This control panel technology is already field tested. It is the same technology as that used on the Teknatool lathe.

I can hardly wait.

Not sure how true it is but it is rumored that some kind of new Mark 7 is going to be released in the fall. I believe the Mark 7 was able to be tilted right or left so the headstock could be used under the table as a shaper.
    Like I said before, It' just a rumor for now.

Last edited by Dave Lehnert; 06-28-2010 at 4:25 PM.
    - Rick Dale