Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Bike Help...Looking for a nice touring bike

If your budget allows both Waterford & Seven make amazing touring bikes. Truly touring, as in riding across the country touring. Now that I realize your local to me, Seven's are actually made in Boston. You can go and see your bike in production. Pig Iron/Cycling Concepts in G-Bury carries them. Not a big fan of that shop though. I find Pedal Power treats all riders well regardless of appearance or budget.
    Last edited by Horton Brasses; 06-28-2010 at 1:49 PM.
    makers of fine reproduction brass & iron hardware

Quote Originally Posted by Horton Brasses View Post
    If your budget allows both Waterford & Seven make amazing touring bikes. Truly touring, as in riding across the country touring. Now that I realize your local to me, Seven's are actually made in Boston. You can go and see your bike in production. Pig Iron/Cycling Concepts in G-Bury carries them. Not a big fan of that shop though. I find Pedal Power treats all riders well regardless of appearance or budget.
    Thanks for the info. I ended up settling on a 520 for myself (which I just picked up tonight) and a LHT for my wife (which should be ready Friday). I went to Berlin Cycles for it and found their service top notch, they were knowledgeable and they spent an enormous amount of time with us getting everything just right, down to picking out some shoes (I've never owned bicycle shoes before because I have a EEE wide foot and basically everyone's told me nothing on the planet fits). He found some Lakes for me that should fit the bill.

I also just sold my Scott Speedster today to a friend at work for his daughter. Going from the S60 to my Trek 7.2 and the 520 is like going from an uncomfortable Formula 1 car to a crossover SUV and a Crown Victoria respectively. What a difference! I've decided that "performance" bikes (race bikes, I guess) are NOT for me, and even if they were they definitely have no place on my commute to work.

I'm getting seriously addicted to this, just like when I was a kid. I'm even starting to enjoy climbs. I don't know why, but I look forward to them a little bit. Maybe it's just the change of pace or maybe it's just being able to see my progress week to week as my conditioning improves.

I did look at Waterford, by the way. They were just way too far out of my price range. I really didn't want to go above $1200, especially considering I bought two of them! I'm quite satisfied I did as well as I could in my range but now I have something to drool over when I pretend I hit the lottery, made all the more miraculous by the fact that I've never played

Quote Originally Posted by John Coloccia View Post
    . . . I've never owned bicycle shoes before . . .
    That is going to be a big increase in comfort for you. After you've forgotten to un-clip for the 2nd time. It's bound to happen.
    Please consider becoming a contributing member of Sawmill Creek.
    The cost is minimal and the benefits are real. Donate

I bought my current trail bike at Berlin Bike. I was, and continue to be, happy with them. Still consider Pedal Power my "home" shop though.
    makers of fine reproduction brass & iron hardware

Check this thread out for a nice tourer, you just might like this

http://www.twtex.com/forums/showthread.php?t=49445

I have a 60 CM Specialize Expedition from back around 1985.

Love it!

Blog Entries
    Mongoose makes some nice choices for comfortable distance riding.

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Damm View Post
    When I think of touring bike, a Harley Ultra Electraglide Classic comes to mind. Saves a lot of pedaling!
    Road Kings are nice too.

I recently started riding a pedal bike of all things. Who the heck but the brakes on the wrong side. I keep grabbing the right brake and expecting it to function and really slow me down. Worst part I have really grabbed the left occasionally thinking I was pulling in the clutch. I need a foot brake on my pedal bike

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Damm View Post
    When I think of touring bike, a Harley Ultra Electraglide Classic comes to mind. Saves a lot of pedaling!
    No way.

Honda Goldwing
    Yamaha FJ1300
    Honda ST1300
    BMW K1300GT