Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Is there a such a thing as a left-handed jointer?

Is there a such a thing as a left-handed jointer?

Am I nuts, or is it weird that all jointers are basically right to left? What if you wanted to run your boards in the opposite direction?

Um....not weird! It's just the way it is! We all learned to run a jointer correctly, the same way--right to left. You will too.

Caution: The Surgeon General has determined that contemplation of left-handed jointers may shortly follow the inhalation of left-handed cigarettes!
    Last edited by Chip Lindley; 06-25-2010 at 10:59 PM.
    [/SIGPIC]Necessisity is the Mother of Invention, But If it Ain't Broke don't Fix It !!

The Festool power plane has a fixture to use it as a left handed jointer. Not much use for big boards, but my BIL uses it exclusively for box building.

Never even though about that. I must say I do hate it when anything is designed to do a job one way and I think/feel it is backwards!

Quote Originally Posted by John Mark Lane View Post
    What if you wanted to run your boards in the opposite direction?
    Turn the board around.

I believe they exist in Britain (not joking).

Now you have to understand that I do not have much experience on a jointer but depending on what you are doing you could either stand in front or stand behind it... then it would be going from left to right vs. right to left.

I was in a shop where I just had to plane down a side to get the side leveled and the guy had a gang load of red oak in front of it...well i stood behind it and did just fine. I was orignally left handed and my dad used to beat my arse when id right left handed so now somethings i do best right handed and some left handed....
    when I was younger and taking martial arts I could spar right or left handed just as easily, messed peoples heads up...mentally...that is.
    "To me, there's nothing freer than a bird, you know, just flying wherever he wants to go. And, I don't know, that's what this country is all about, being free. I think everyone wants to be a free bird." - Ronnie Van Zant

Thanks for the replies (humorous and otherwise). I think maybe I wasn't entirely clear, though. I want to be able to stand in front of the machine, and push the wood from left to right. In other words, a mirror image of the typical jointer.

Oh, well. I will have a look at what they offer in Britain. Sometimes those Limey's have it right (even if they can't manage to drive on the correct side of the road)!

[QUOTE=John Mark Lane;1454637]\

Sometimes those Limey's have it right (even if they can't manage to drive on the correct side of the road)![/QUOTE]

The Brits say the same thing about the Yanks!
    Ken

So much to learn, so little time.....

On most jointers, the infeed and outfeed tables are mirror opposites: if you can flip the head and reverse the motor, you've got a left-to-right jointer. If the head can't be flipped you could pay Byrd or a machine shop to modify the existing head or make you a new one. If the motor can't be wired to reverse, you can probably swap it for a motor with the counter-rotation.

It may be entertaining to invite hapless "experts" to use such a jointer, but you'll want a piece of scrap plywood or steel plate strategically placed inline with the end of the NEW infeed table.

Change is good, but sometimes convention is better.

-kg

Does this thread seem silly to anyone else?
    Scott Vroom

I started with absolutely nothing. Now, thanks to years of hard work, careful planning, and perseverance, I find I still have most of it left.

Quote Originally Posted by jeff willard View Post
    turn the board around.
    that's funny
    "I love the smell of sawdust in the morning".
    Robert Duval in "Apileachips Now". - almost.

Laserpro Spirit 60W laser, Corel X3
    Missionfurnishings, Mitchell Andrus Studios, NC

Quote Originally Posted by John Mark Lane View Post
    Am I nuts, or is it weird that all jointers are basically right to left? What if you wanted to run your boards in the opposite direction?
    In Australia toilets swirl in the wrong direction......worth a phone call.
    "I love the smell of sawdust in the morning".
    Robert Duval in "Apileachips Now". - almost.

Laserpro Spirit 60W laser, Corel X3
    Missionfurnishings, Mitchell Andrus Studios, NC

As a young'un, my dad would send me to the hardware store to get a left handed monkey wrench. Kind old Mr. Beckley would tell me he had just sold his last one and sent me around the corner to kind old Mr. Pruitt's store and he too had just sold his last one. Only took me five or six trips to figure it out. I still have the board stretchers on back order!! Maybe the lefty jointer is back ordered as well.