Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: Whats your favorite Pocket knife

Quote Originally Posted by Frederick Gross View Post

The rotation....
    Those Striders are sweet. Some serious coin too.

Good god that is a sweet line-up of Striders. That is a nice charge of cash sitting right there that pretty much takes the cake for best in show. I've always wanted a Strider but never really justified it. A good buddy of mine owns one and I have had the luxury of messing with it. Very well made tools.

I have been looking into the Benchmade Griptilian mini 556 as of late and think I am going to pull the trigger. What are anyone's opinion on this knife and has anyone owned one personally?

Quote Originally Posted by Tony Shea View Post
    Good god that is a sweet line-up of Striders. That is a nice charge of cash sitting right there that pretty much takes the cake for best in show. I've always wanted a Strider but never really justified it. A good buddy of mine owns one and I have had the luxury of messing with it. Very well made tools.

I have been looking into the Benchmade Griptilian mini 556 as of late and think I am going to pull the trigger. What are anyone's opinion on this knife and has anyone owned one personally?
    The Mini Grip is nice. The AXIS lock is super smooth. The only thing I don't like is the handle. It just doesn't fit my hand very well. The diamond pattern on the scales is a little too aggressive, tends to tear up your pocket after awhile. I find Spyderco's to be a bit more ergonomic. They just seem to fit my hand better. It's a personal thing. If you like the Mini Grip's size, check out the Spyderco Delica:

Smile Atwood?

I like ATWOOD designs very much, but every time I venture to his page I get frustrated. I do not have the patience to sit and wait weeks or months for an unknown product to be released & then beg the maker to take my money if I am lucky enough to be chosen as worthy of purchasing from him. Perhaps someone else will crank up a CNC with as much imagination.

Now it looks like you have to MySpace, FaceBook, Blog & all that other time waster digital B.S. is nessasary to even be on the "you might be considered" list . . .

In the meantime, RANDALL, Cordova, Benchmade, Gerber, Buck & Reeve will have to suffice . . .

Steve

Quote Originally Posted by Eric DeSilva View Post
    I can't stand carrying things in my pocket. And, I've never really thought of a knife as something to carry 24x7. I tend to have a small folding knife (usually a CRKT or small spyderco) is a drawer/glove compartment nearby, so maybe that is why I've never seen the use.

I'll usually carry a little Atwood tool on my keychain, however. The normal one is this guy:

and on the truck keychain, this guy:

Last edited by Steven DeMars; 06-30-2010 at 10:00 PM.
    Support the "CREEK" . . .

Tony,

I also like the 556, plain edge. I removed the clip and sanded the grip a bit, as it will rip your pants up pretty bad if not tamed somewhat. 154CM is sweet steel. Hard to go wrong with this knife.

I also carry a Delica sometimes, but I don't like it as much as the BM...........

Rich
    *** "I have gained insights from many sources... experts, tradesman & novices.... no one has a monopoly on good ideas." Jim Dailey, SMC, Feb. 19, 2007
    *** "The best way to get better is to leave your ego in the parking lot."----Eddie Wood, 1994
    *** We discovered that he had been educated beyond his intelligence........
    *** Student of Rigonomics & Gizmology

Waste Knot Woods
    Rice, VA

I EDC a full-size Griptillian, and love it. I was originally planning to buy the Mini, but it just felt a little too short in the hand. My previous EDC, the Spyderco Savage still gets a lot of use -- very handy, ergonomic, and ambidextrous. The index-finger cutout on the Savage made its smaller blade both secure and comfortable to use.
    We few, we happy few, we band of brothers --
    joined in the serious business of keeping our food,
    shelter, clothing and loved ones from combining
    with oxygen.
    -- Kurt Vonnegut

Currently I carry a Leatherman "Surge" on my belt at work. Even though I am officially office staff, it gets used daily for a multiple of items. The office girls know that it is on my belt and when they need something cut or tweaked with the tools, I get the call to assist. I have also carried Cold Steel, Victorinox, Spyderco, Gerber & Kincrome (replaceable Blade) since I was a kid, but the knife laws in Australia are somewhat restrictive and single bladed knives frowned upon by the constabulary.

Most now reside in a locked weapon box, along with the fixed blade brethren - KaBar, Kukri, mainly bayonets and combat knives etc.

In my shed I have various marking knives and a hacking knife, which can do almost everything in the shed

Benchmade Leopard Cub here.
    It's an older Pat Crawford design.

For "dress up" I have a Darrel Ralph Krait or a Microtech...

Day in day out/around the shop/job site knife is one of those folding utility knives clipped in my front pocket & an old Schrade Old timer three blade in the back pocket.

& yes - I'm a serious Knife Knut..
    Must have a couple hundred scattered around the house.

It is kind of a PITA, but for me it wasn't a big deal--I have an RSS reader that self-updates on one of my screens at work, so it is pretty obvious when something pops up. He doesn't do volume, and I think, at least, he is trying to be fair.