Thread: Shop Remodel - Scope Creep

Shop Remodel - Scope Creep

Reroofing the shop is not technically related to the remodel. The building needed a new roof regardless of whether I was going to remodel. I've been waiting for two days of clear weather, to complete the north side. The south side was finished a few weeks ago. My two days of clear weather arrived this week, and it worked out for me to take some last minute vacation days yesterday and today. My rafters are 16" OC. I always wanted sky lights in the shop, but the standard fixed lights stocked by the the home centers are for rafters 2' OC. I called one of them three weeks ago and asked about having them special order the 14.5" wide models, and was told they couldn't get them.

On Thursday while working on the tear off, I decided I was going to add a couple of "new" rafters and squeeze in two of the 22.5" X 46" sky lights. Discussed the budget implications with my wife and got the go ahead. Got to the home center to pick up the sky lights and few 1x8's for replacing some soft spots, and found to my delight they had a new sky light display, featuring the very 14.5" x 46" models they told me three weeks ago they couldn't get, and since they were cheaper than the 22.5" wide models, I was able to pick up three.

The roof is pretty much dried in, tomorrow shingles start going down, I hope.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Nice!! Natural light is wonderful.

Joe -

Those are going to be great!! Keep us posted........

Nice! What a great addition.

Also, what a well built roof

16" OC rafters, and 2x8s instead of sheathing. You could park your car up there!