Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Steam Bending Turnings

Steam Bending Turnings

A little background....

Ok...as a continuation of the Thread On Ammonia I've decided to build a steambox that will accomodate turnings. As I said in that other thread...my first objective is to make a Turned Water Pitcher...complete with spout and handle. At first, I thought that ammonia could be used to accomplish the bending required to create these features...but as discovered in the ammonia thread...it just might not work out for a variety of reasons.
    Another facet discussed in that other thread, is the subject of green wood stabilization. It is an ongoing dilemma, that most of us struggle with...and I suppose, a dream scenario is the day when you can turn green wood...stabilize it....finish turn it...finish it...all in one day. Not a likely scenario...but it would be cool.
    There is also the subjects of warpage and cracks, and how to control those pesky facts of life.

So, the question is...Can steaming our turnings accomplish anything?

So...it's time for an experiment. I hope to perform as many tasks as necessary to answer everyone's questions....and hopefully, in the end, we will all benefit....with just one person putting in the time for everyone else.
    So...through my inevitable failures...and hopefully, successes...there will be something to gain from this.

The first step is to build a Steamer Box....then, I will turn the top of a wide-mouthed vase, steam it, and see how it behaves when I try to bend it into a spout. During that phase, I'll also bend a handle....but this is really a no-brainer, since it is done all the time.

After that...we will explore the question of green wood stabilization. I have some ideas of things to try...but will be eager to hear from everyone else. We need to find out as much as we can.

The Steamer Box

So.....I used to do a lot of flatwork and got into bending smallish piieces of oak and walnut for various things. This required that I build a steamer box using a 3" diameter, 5 foot long section of PVC pipe. I simply fitted up a Wagner Wallpaper Steamer to it...and it worked great.
    With turnings, I need something bigger, so I figured that a box that would accomodate a single turning from my lathe, would have to be around 15X15X15 on the inside.
    Luckily...I happened to have a 3X4 foot sheet of 1" thick plexiglass that has been collecting dust.
    Plexiglass-1.jpg
    I figured that this oughta be perfect.
    So this morning I hauled it into the shop (IT'S HEAVY!!!) and decided to cut it up.

First, I needed a tablesaw...and I found one!! It was under a bunch of turnings and turning blanks
    CleanTheTS.JPG
    Now...a tablesaw is something that flatworkers use to make big boards into little boards. I guess it is quite useful if you are into that sort of thing. And in this case...it was pretty convenient.

So I chopped up that big heavy thing into pieces that were more manageable.
    And I finally found a purpose for the marking knife that I made years ago
    Cutup_Plexiglass.JPG

After getting it cut up...I pulled out some Lacquer Cleaner (which smells really good!!!) and cleaned up all my pieces.
    CleanedUpPlexiglass.JPG

My next post is the building of this thing.
    ~john
    "There's nothing wrong with Quiet" ` Jeremiah Johnson

Next step is hole drilling. I have these real nice self-tapping cabinet screws, that I figured would work out pretty good. They required a counterbore to reach through this thick stuff....So using my handy-dandy, custom made, osage orange, hand-ground marking knife, I scored a bunch of lines and X's and V's and stuff...and drilled my counterbores using a forstner bit I found on the ground.

DrillingCounterbore.JPG

Then using a smaller bit...just slightly larger than the screw diameter...I finished each hole with a thru-hole. And I had a pile of flat things that could be turned into a box.
    DrilledPanels.JPG

Next...in order to achieve proper alignment, and compensate for my inability to measure properly...I just clamped the whole thing together so I could drill the receiving holes.
    ClampedBox.JPG

Then I took a handful of screws and screwed it all together.
    BoxScrewedTogether.JPG

Now...structurally...this is ok. But I really need to seal it to prevent steam from escaping...and allow the pressure to build a little. So I caulked all the corners with Clear Acrylic Caulk...and I slathered some on the top edge to act as a gasket for the top cover.
    BoxCaulked.JPG
    ~john

So anyway...the box is built....here it is with the steamer.
    steamer.JPG

I need to let the caulk cure a bit...and later on today, I'll drill the holes for the steamer fitting and drain plug. I also need to attach some clamping things on it so the top will be tight during the steaming process.

Anyway...that's tonight. This thing should be ready for an experiment tomorrow.

All tolled...it took 3 hours to build and it weighs 70 pounds. I didn't have to buy anything...so that's good.

Now I have to go out and build the deck for a little while.
    ~john

That's a wonderful tutorial, John... very interesting, and it seems to be well-planned in advance. Two thumbs up for your attention to detail, and your willingness to put it all out here for the rest of us.
    Do you think the heat might have a detrimental effect on that 1" Plexiglas, or will it not get that hot inside?
    Steve's got a deck and back yard under his stairs?
    Allen
    The good Lord didn't create anything without a purpose, but mosquitoes come close.
    And.... I'm located just 1,075 miles SW of Steve Schlumpf.

That's cool... It looks a bit like the cage they used to hold Hannibal Lector in one of the Silence of the Lambs movies. I'm sure that had a strong influence on your design. That and the lacquer cleaner!

Sounds like a very interesting experiment. I'm excited to see what you learn.

First of all I don't think that plexiglass is anywhere near thick enough. Also, I would like to know how that can of lacquer thinner figures into this whole thing (and don't try to sell that crap about cleaning!). Keep your heads down boys...
    David DeCristoforo

A "Sweat Lodge" for woodturnings!!! Gets the evil spirits out of 'em!!

Pretty neat build there Hart. I look forward to seeing what kind of creations come out of this thing!

Thanks boys....
    Well..My answer to the whole plexiglass heat thing is..."I don't know".

The fact is...when I used the PVC pipe for the steamer, it got pretty soft...and I had to mount it to a piece of plywood so that it had some rigidity.

It's just a wild guess, but I figured that plexiglass...having a crystaline structure, would be a bit stronger...plus, PVC is pretty thin...and 1" thick is pretty thick. So there is my non-technical guesswork at work.

also...steaming really doesn't take very long. I doubt that it'll be heated up for more than 45 minutes at a shot. Pressure isn't a concern...as it won't be much higher than atmosphere....just a little bit...probably not even 1psi.

And on the Lacquer Cleaner...I am shocked....absolutely shocked that anyone anywhere would suggest that I would use it for anything other than cleaning. You people should (hic...'cuse me) you people should be ashamed.!!
    ~john

"...you people should be ashamed..."

Oh... we are... we are. Nevertheless....
    David DeCristoforo

I won't comment on your steam box setup. I will say that I am skeptical that you can bend turned wood to some preconceived shape. I am sure you can cause it to warp. My limited experience with wood bending was with straight grained red oak that I bent OK as long as the grain was straight. Any wood with wild or cross grain would crack. Most wood turnings that I can think of have cross grain if that is a good description of the multiple grains involved. Even straight grain one needs a jig to clamp the wood to the desired shape. However, nothing ventured - nothing gained. Try it -- see what happens.

Quote Originally Posted by David E Keller View Post
    That's cool... It looks a bit like the cage they used to hold Hannibal Lector in one of the Silence of the Lambs movies. I'm sure that had a strong influence on your design. That and the lacquer cleaner!

Sounds like a very interesting experiment. I'm excited to see what you learn.
    John interned under him.
    Ken

So much to learn, so little time.....

"...I am skeptical that you can bend turned wood to some preconceived shape..."

Killjoy....
    David DeCristoforo

13. let us know how it works

Hi John,

That is a pretty nice concept you have there, but I am wondering if theory and execution will match up in the end. Let us know if it works out, as it might be something worth exploration and adaptation....

No more telling the guy "it can't be done" or any variation of that. There's lots of things that have been done by people who didn't know they couldn't be done. This could be really good. Personally, I'm impressed by Hart's "cojones" to attempt something like this under public scrutiny...
    David DeCristoforo

Hey guys...I have no trouble whatsoever with skepticism. I have lived my whole life trying things where there have always been throngs of people with their eyebrows raised....We're talkin' THRONGS.

But it doesn't matter. Because along the way there are cool lessons to learn...and not every lesson is a victory....and not every defeat is a deflation. And, ya know...some of those lessons aren't even related to the objective.

I have enjoyed my life...and it is replete with trial and error...and lots of surprises.....The spice of life in my humble opinion.

Now...if you'll excuse me...I'm going to go eat some raw meat and look at all my Jodie Foster posters.
    Last edited by John Hart; 06-26-2010 at 6:50 PM. Reason: I mispelled "replete" like an idiot
    ~john