Thread: Band Saw Tires - Urethane or Rubber

Band Saw Tires - Urethane or Rubber

It's time to change the tires on my Delta Saw and I'm torn between rubber (shorter lived but apparently not as prone to grooves) vs. urethane (much less expensive and longer longer lasting.) I'm looking for opinions and experience and I'm sure there's a bunch of it out there.
    The floor is yours.
    Doug

I think the urethane have almost universal approval as being the way to go.

I went with urethane for multiple reasons.
    1. Easier to change. Just soak in hot soapy water use some clamps & small dowels & they slide right on.
    2. You don't have to use glue to keep them in place.
    3. They come with a crown on them.

Urethane.
    The wheels have a crown in them, the tires are flat.
    Never, under any circumstances, consume a laxative and sleeping pill, on the same night

Tires

Urethane, hands down.
    Ron In Clanton, Alabama

Shoot amongst us boy, one of us has got to have some relief!

All other things being equal the urethane sure are nice, but they may not work easily on every saw, particularly with regard to thickness. A difference in thickness effectively changes the wheel diameter and if it's substantial it can shift the blade's run position beyond (or uncomfortably close to) the limits of the guide adjustments. That was the case with my Grizzly. I would have had to move the trunion and lower guide mounting plate and redrill or enlarge the upper mounts.
    - Tom

To help prevent grooving of the tires over time, some band saw manufacturers recommend slacking off on the blade's tension overnight, or between uses if the machine is only used intermittently. I think it's a good idea although I know most don't bother (and most older machines I've seen have a deep old groove worn in the tires .)

As someone who has installed then crowned rubber tires on an old bandsaw, URETHANE!!!

The only time I prefer rubber is if they are vucanized from the factory which few companies do. Other than that urethane.