Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Felling a tree is not hard,...

Everyone and Jason, in particular, I don't take any advice on this as abrasive. I don't want to get hurt. I work with wood for fun. So I appreciate the lessons that others have for me. You were exactly right. I cut through one side of the hinge before the other, so it makes sense that the tree went the way it did. This was because I didn't have a feel for where the saw was coming out the other side. I am wiser now! I brought up this thread for the safety of others who are in my situation and considering dropping a tree.
    Mark

You can sometimes count every orange on a tree but never all the trees in a single orange. -A.K. Ramanujan

I think you had most everything going close enough to right ,, except I didn't hear anything about wedges if you had stopped the backcut at 2 inches from the hidge and then pounded a couple wedges in the tree would have headed where you pointed the undercut for these small trees like this one wedges will correct most slight leans and get the tree heading where you point it. for bigger stuff the hindge gets wider and then jacks are involved or tree people will use ropes to pull the top towards where they want it to go . be safe and watch for splits hollows small undercuts heavy crowns, and bees.. ( and a million other things)