Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Estate Sale Finds

Estate Sale Finds

I'm a complete newb when it comes to this stuff, so I'm hoping you guys can help me out. I recently bought a small collection of planes at a local estate sale. My plan is to clean these up and hopefully get a few good users out of the lot. Before I touch 'em, though, I wanted to make sure that I don't have anything special that I need to set aside (you never know, right?)

There are a total of 8 planes: 2 #7's, 2 #6's, 3 #5's, and one smaller, unmarked one.

I'll post individual pix in subsequent posts. Here's a photo of the whole collection & the cabinet they came in. Oh, and I paid $80 for the whole thing - does that count as a gloat or just fair market?
    Attached Images Attached Images

That would be a HUGE gloat price-wise!!

Winchester #7

Here's the first #7. It says Winchester on the lever cap, but I don't see any manufacturer marks on the body. The handle looks like it might have been repaired.

#7 Bailey

Here's the other #7. It seems to have more wear & tear on it. The handle looks to have been repaired and has some chips.

#6 Bailey

The first #6 is a Bailey. I'm thinking the handle may be a replacement - it's a tad loose, and it doesn't seem to match the casting exactly.

#6 Unknown

The other #6 has no manufacturer's mark on the body, but the iron has what looks like a "HTCO" logo on it.

#5 Bailey #1

All of the #5 planes are Baileys. Here's the first. Looks like the handle, frog, and other hardware may have been replaced. There was also an extra old frog in the cabinet - maybe it started out on this unit?

#5 Bailey #2

Here's the second #5. It shows a little more rust than the others.

#5 Bailey #3

The third #5. It's got a little rust on the sole.

$80 seems like a steal from my point of view. Have fun!

Dunlap

This one says "Dunlap". What size would this be?

I don't see a reason not to put some effort in to them. You could adapt them to what you want or sell off some then get what you need.

Rick

Blog Entries
    James,

Welcome to the Cave by the Creek.

Such a deal, any one tell you YOU SUCK!

The #7 cleaned up could sell for $80 by it self.

The spare frog is actually most likely from the first #5. It looks to be broken and the frog on that plane is not date correct. The plane is usable the way it is. After about 1907, the frogs are pretty much interchangeable.

Most of those look to be good users and I would have likely torn my pants trying to get my wallet out on such a deal.

There is a little part mixing among the planes, but for users that does not really matter.

If you need any information on tuning them up, look at the top of the Neanderthal Haven for the Sticky: Neanderthal wisdom/FAQs there is some good information there on how to restore and tune old hand planes.

Even though the blades may be a bit on the dull side, I would give each one a pass or two on a hunk of wood just to see how they do. Then when you hone the blades and tune them up, you will see a big improvement.

Have fun with the new toys,

jim
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

your winchester 7 is a pretty collectible plane.

Nice Haul

Welcome to the creek. That's a nice haul and definitely at a "you suck" price.