Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Powermatic 54HH issues

Powermatic 54HH issues

Just got a new Powematic 54HH and the outfeed table is not parralell to the knives.

Since you cant adjust the knives how to you make the outfeed table parallle with the knives.

Oh I might add in. I have owned an used many joiners in the past and so far am not impressed with the Powermatic. Its Fit and Finish is no better than any other Chinese manufactured machine.

Blog Entries
    Michael,

Sorry to hear of your problems. My first thought would be to have Powermatic get it to your satisfaction or return it.

I have about a 5 year old Powermatic 882 and it's been great. Maybe the best tool in my shop. I havent put a byrd head on it yet but I plan to.

Maybe I'll bump into you at some point as I'm very near you as I live in Ashburn.

PHM

Sorry to here that. I got a 54HH and have had great luck with it. I am pretty sure there are screws or gibs or something that can adjust that.

Powermatic might be able to help.

It is a really nice jointer so hang in there and get it fixed up.

good luck,
    Scott

If I understand wouldn't this be standard shimming of a dovetail way jointer? You say you have owned many jointers I am guessing you have adjusted a dovetail way jointer at some point. Maybe I don't understand the problem.

Believe it or not I have not. Normally I make the out feed bed parallel with the blade by adjusting the knives then add about 1/1000 of an inch and away I go.

Never been an issue in the past. The problem is since the blades are not lined up with the out feed table its hard to get a square cut since it would be almost impossible to line up the fence with the blade inserts. What would help is an adjustment on the cutter.

I will call Powermatic tomorrow and see what they suggest.

Are the infeed and outfeed tables coplaner?

Its within a few 1000ths from end to end. Just not coplainer with the blade.

OK this is an interesting issue I have not run across. I do not know of a way to adjust the cutter head though there may be. You may have to shim both the infeed and outfeed tables to match the cutter head if indeed it is not adjustable. BTW how much out are we talking about?

If I understand your problem correctly you can shim under the bearing journals and adjust the head. One can see the solution by simply looking at the parts breakdown. It's a simple fix. You can get a cheap feeler gauge from an auto parts store for $5. I would not recommend the soda can fix. I keep a pack of assorted brass shim stock on hand as I work on machines. Simple quick fix.
    Last edited by Rick Lizek; 06-29-2010 at 6:29 AM.

Blog Entries
    How's it going with your jointer Michael?

Sorry I just got a new Leigh D24Pro and Accessory Pack and have been playing with that.

I have been using the jointer as it is (Raised the outfeed bed slighly) Since the Fence is Square with the table and not the blades I get a edge that is just a touch off. The only way you can tell is to do the edges of two boards then put them together. If the boards will go togehter nicly in any orientation along the cut edges you are golden.

Im not. I have to flip the boards. I think the best awnser is to shim the head. I am not up to this right now. Personaly I feel Powermatic should send someone to my house to do it.

Back when I purchased my 18" jet band saw, Jet sent out a local repair person to change the wheel bearings.

The funny thing is I purchased a Powermatic because I thought I would not have to go through this crap. Not true.

In retrospect I wish I had purchased a cheaper brand. I probably will never purchase a powermatic tool again.

Anyway got to get back to my dovetail jig. Its calling my name

Sorry but that's like owning a car and expecting it to never need repair. Man up and do some maintenance. New does not equal perfect and to expect it to be is asking too much. The people who make these machines are just workers in a factory. If it was something major it'd be different but this doesn't seem like that big of a deal.

Bottom line if you are really unhappy with it, return the cutter head to Powermatic and have them send you a replacement. Just make sure it's the head that's off and not the base of the unit.

Hope you never have to deal with warped cast iron tables.

Bla .. Bla .. Bla

I have heard that all before. Bottom Line on a $1300 tool I should not have to tear is down go out an purchase shims to fix something that should have been done at the distribution center.

If I wanted to do that I would have purchased a Grizzly.

I have been doing woodworking for over 30 years and all I can say is it has gotten worse. It's the fact that you are willing to put up with this kind of crap is the reason the manufactures can get away with it.

As far as manning up. I will eventually tear the darn thing down and fix it but its my right as a consumer to purchase the rest of my tools elsewhere.

Blog Entries
    Michael,

I'm sure you know best for your situation.

If this was happening to me though I think I would be trying to have Powermatic make the tool right in all aspects, rather than trying to fix it myself, and if they couldnt (or wouldnt) I would return it and buy a different jointer.

I hope this gets resolved to your satisfaction.

PHM

michael...if it's new, why not just return it? i'm in your camp..not a big fan of jet, powermatic or wilton. i find them to be long on promise, short on delivery and overpriced relative to: a) what they give you and b) the other products out there. like you, i will never purchase a walter meier tool group (parent of the above brands) again.