Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Decorating Little Eggies.

Thanks Mark, I think vinegar does dissolve calcium - certainly kettle de-scaler does.
    Something new for me to try laser then etch - might just work.

Thanks again,

Paul.

Blog Entries
    Or try dying the eggs first with a bit of vinegar and Ritt dye... you'll have to balance the length of dying time between getting a deep enough color and allowing the color to leach through the entire depth of the shell.
    Hi-Tec Designs, LLC -- Owner (and self-proclaimed LED guru )

Trotec 80W Speedy 300 laser w/everything
    CAMaster Stinger CNC (25" x 36" x 5")
    USCutter 24" LaserPoint Vinyl Cutter
    Jet JWBS-18QT-3 18", 3HP bandsaw
    Robust Beauty 25"x52" wood lathe w/everything
    Jet BD-920W 9"x20" metal lathe
    Delta 18-900L 18" drill press

Flame Polisher (ooooh, FIRE!)
    Freeware: InkScape, Paint.NET, DoubleCAD XT
    Paidware: Wacom Intuos4 (Large), CorelDRAW X5

You can also put a fairly decent size hole in one end, then use an epoxy inside it, roll it around to coat the inside. That'll make it strong. Once that's done, dry wall spackeling (sp?), NOT sheetrock mud, can be used to fill the hole and sand it smooth.
    Lasers : Trotec Speedy 300 75W, Trotec Speedy 300 80W, Galvo Fiber Laser 20W
    Printers : Mimaki UJF-6042 UV Flatbed Printer , HP Designjet L26500 61" Wide Format Latex Printer, Summa S140-T 48" Vinyl Plotter
    Router : ShopBot 48" x 96" CNC Router Rotary Engravers : (2) Xenetech XOT 16 x 25 Rotary Engravers

Real name Steve but that name was taken on the forum. Used Middle name. Call me Steve or Scott, doesn't matter.

Thank you all for the suggestions and ideas. I have a few different things to try now - should have it sorted by next easter.

Paul.

For the problem with scorching cover with tape first.
    Vytek 4' x 8', 35 watt. Epilog Legend 100 watt, Graphtec plotter. Corel x-4, Autocad 2008, Flexi sign, Adobe Illustrator, Photo Impact X-3 and half a dozen more.

Blog Entries
    James,

That's some thin/flexible tape to cover a small egg without crinkling

There is a liquid mask which dries to a film I used to use for airbrushing motorcycle/snowmobile helmets. Once dry, you can cut it with a knife (or laser I guess) and it peels off when you're done with it. Look in airbrush supply vendors like Bear Air.

dee
    Epilog Mini 18/25w & 35w, Mac and Vaio, Corel x3, typical art toys, airbrush... I'm a Laserhead, my husband is a Neanderthal - go figure

Red Coin Mah Jong

For the problem with scorching cover with tape first.
    Sorry James but I don't think this is practical

On the serious side, when applying enough power to cut through, the shell is on the verge of catching fire. Although the calcium itself doesn't actually burn the protein layers and sac are flammable and I think (although I haven't tried it yet) any form of masking will add to the flammability issue.

However, masking is yet another avenue for me to try - thank you for the suggestions.

Paul.

On really odd shaped objects, I use electrical tape. It has enough flexibility to conform and comes off very easy.
    Vytek 4' x 8', 35 watt. Epilog Legend 100 watt, Graphtec plotter. Corel x-4, Autocad 2008, Flexi sign, Adobe Illustrator, Photo Impact X-3 and half a dozen more.

Hi James,

It is perhaps a whole new subject but I trust that your electrical tape is not PVC.
    Cutting that on your machine can really be bad news.

The problem with these little egg shells is they are so delicate when cut that they just cannot be handled without breaking, let alone pull off any tape.

This is perhaps the type of work I am eventually trying to achieve.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/superma...in/contacts/#/

Paul.

You can get liquid mask at art supply and craft stores also.
    Mike Null

St. Louis Laser, Inc.

Trotec Speedy 300, 80 watt
    Gravograph IS400
    Woodworking shop CLTT and Laser Sublimation
    Dye Sublimation
    CorelDraw X5, X7

Blog Entries
    Dee,

Two thumbs up... I always seem to forget about the liquid mask stuff. I'll have to dig through my airbrush kit and see if I have any left, but I think I may just have a roll or two of frisket.

In a pinch, maybe some melted wax would work? The laser would have no problem etching through it. I wonder how it would work if you coated an egg with a think dip of wax, lasered a design, and then dyed it... hmmmm...

In a pinch, maybe some melted wax would work? The laser would have no problem etching through it. I wonder how it would work if you coated an egg with a think dip of wax, lasered a design, and then dyed it... hmmmm...
    Go on Dan, give it a try and report back.

Paul.

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Hintz View Post
    Dee,

Two thumbs up... I always seem to forget about the liquid mask stuff. I'll have to dig through my airbrush kit and see if I have any left, but I think I may just have a roll or two of frisket.

Now you're making pysanky! Ukrainian style egg decoration.
    Epilog Mini 18/25w & 35w, Mac and Vaio, Corel x3, typical art toys, airbrush... I'm a Laserhead, my husband is a Neanderthal - go figure

Red Coin Mah Jong

Blog Entries
    Hah, no kidding... kind of a reverse pysanky. I had no idea. I guess with my method, you'd have to keep recoating the entire egg after each color, though.