Thread: Michelle Holzapfel artist and craftsman (women)

Michelle Holzapfel artist and craftsman (women)

This artist is featured in the current issue of "Woodwork" . I thoght her work was inspiring and very original . There is an organic basis and the compositions are thoughtful . Her skill with tools is amazing as well.

http://www.delmano.com/2004/Wood_Art...holzapfel.html
    "All great work starts with love .... then it is no longer work"

In a word, "WOW" Stunning. What more can one say, but "stunning"?!
    Cheers,
    John K. Miliunas

Cannot find REALITY.SYS. Universe halted.
    60 grit is a turning tool, ain't it?
    SMC is totally supported by volunteers and your generosity! Please help if you can!
    Looking for something for nothing? Check here!

Well Mark, I'm not sure what to say.

I know that I don't have your knowledge of woodworking, but to say that I'm impressed with the range of her work as well as the variety of medium that she uses would be a tragic understatement. The intertwining of dark and light, the intricacies of form, and texture are breathtaking.

Bruce

A Rembrant with wood!!! I just love going to shows, be it a local woodworking show where turners and carvers display their crafts or a arts centers where craftsmen using wood as medium have displays. Luckily, the Adirondacks has an abundence of artist who use wood as thier medium and a varity of places to see their work.

Yummy stuff. I've seen some of it before I knew better...she's amazing.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Mark -

Those are some really remarkable pieces. She is a true artisan.

Ted

Truly remarkable.. I particularly like the "Linen Fold" piece--really organic shape there.
    _Aaron_
    SawmillCreek Administrator

She must have incredible vision when she looks at a piece of wood. A true gift.
    Procrastination.......

Maybe I'll think about that tomorrow

Wow

Truly amazing!! We're not worthy!!
    Jerry

Grand Marais, MN. A transplant from Minneapolis

I don't Get it.

I don't Get it . I respect the level of skill attained to work wood in this manner. Know there is great complexity in these creations as well as time invested and I certanly like the price tag her efforts command, but these don't move me. No messege is conveyed. I can read the words but don't follow the story!!
    Now William Miller's (who shares this gallery) work takes my breath away.
    TJH
    Live Like You Mean It.

http://www.northhouse.org/

I share the same feelings as Tyler. I know it takes a lot of skill to accomplish these items....but they just dont do a lot for me. There were a few items I really liked.

I feel bad saying that....but work that is more abstract, like this, just does not interest me. I guess I am rather vanilla......

Very skilled. I liked a lot of these, but that Three Jewels Bowl is just creepy. My 2 cents.

I just got to read the article at lunch in the February 2005 issue of Woodwork which arrived yesterday. Even if you do not strictly appreciate her work from an art perspective, the article is very interesting regarding how she (and her husbands, also a woodworker) developed over the years. And the sidebar on page 33 is a "must read" for anyone interested in texturing techniques on turnings and carvings. Good stuff to learn from no matter what your style or leaning in design!
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

I agree 100% with Jim. I have also read the article and noted that she is in addition to being a gifted artist, she also a very brilliant lady having graduated as valedictorian of her high school class.

Now, I have about as much artistic savvy as a rock, but I do very much marvel at the fine detail of her work. I don't know how anyone could spend the time required to produce those works of art without ending up in the mad house.

After looking at her gallery, and noting the price of $13,000 popping up, I wonder where the cost-price curves cross. How many works can be produced per year, 2 or 3 or may be 6 or 8? How often do you need to sell one in order to buy groceries? Just being nosy
    Best Regards, Ken