Thread: Going to be in Columbia, SC next week, any advice

Going to be in Columbia, SC next week, any advice

Title says it all. I'm going to be in Columbia, SC next week for work and was curious if anyone had any advice or suggestions on what to do there. Anything particularly interesting, or any shops that are a must see, any amazing wood shops, turning pieces, etc....

-Stephen

Stay indoors. The weather there during the summer is beyond horrible. Unless you like hot, humid weather. I have some family there and I will attempt to get in touch with them and see what some fun things to do.

Ha!, I live in Atlanta, and spent summers in central Florida in the swamp. Hot and humid are what I love.

-Stephen

Smile

While it does get warm here during the summer, that's no reason to stay inside. Stay in the shade and drink water and you'll be fine. Good things to see are:
    1) The Congaree National Monument is a few miles outside of own and is the best example of an old growth forest that you'll find on the East Coast.
    2) The state museum is downtown and housed in an old mill. If you go, make sure to notice the heart of pine timbers and flooring. It's the wood that built a huge part of the industrial revolution in this country. I love working with that stuff. The exhibits are good too.
    3) Walk around the state house. The brass stars mark artillery hits when the building was shelled during the Civil War.
    4) Walk over to the Horseshoe at the University of South Carolina. Its the historic portion of the university. Just a couple blocks from the state house. And the baseball team just won the NCAA championship. GO COCKS!! (I had to say that.)
    5) The zoo is great and just a few minutes from downtown.

Thanks for the advice. The old growth forest sounds really interesting. You don't see a ton of those anymore.

-Stephen

there are two wood working stores up there.... Mann Tool and woodzone. I have been to Mann tool several times, they are also a rockler retailer.

http://www.woodzone.com/

http://www.manntools.com/

They are both fairly close to one another, right off of I-26, either exit 111 or 113 , if I remember right.

If you just want to visit with another fellow Creeker who is an absolute riot, contact James McGrew over on the CNC forum. Ask to see the largest Chess pieces in the world.

“Life is not so short but that there is always time enough for courtesy and chivalry.” —Ralph Waldo Emerson

Everybody knows what to do with the devil but them that has him. My Grandmother
    I had a guardian angel at one time, but my little devil got him drunk, tattooed, and left him penniless at a strip club. I have not had another angel assigned to me yet.
    I didn't change my mind, my mind changed me.
    Bella Terra