Thread: Media Mail

Media Mail

OK give me the skinny on mailing magazines using media mail. I have been selling my magazines primarily by priority flat rate. I see others especially on ebay shipping magazines using media mail. The PO told me if there is advertisements in the magazines (yes) they can't be shipped media mail.
    Please enlighten me...anyone?
    Thanks,
    Jim

By odd timing, I accompanied a friend over to the post office recently to ship some books that she wrote and self published. I have a UPS shipping account but never ship media so I asked about it. Turns out the only advertising permitted is announcements about books, so in other words, if the book jacket has something about other books by that author, something like that is fine. Most commercial magazines would not qualify since they contain lots of ads.

Sammamish, WA

Epilog Legend 24TT 45W, had a sign business for 17 years, now just doing laser work on the side.

"One only needs two tools in life: WD-40 to make things go, and duct tape to make them stop." G. Weilacher

"The handyman's secret weapon - Duct Tape" R. Green

That's a great question Jim. A few months ago it cost me $4.90 to mail a FWW mag that I sold for $5.

OK so it sounds like individuals who are sending magazines using media mail are not following the PO protocol.
    I just wanted to make sure I was not "missing" out on something.
    Thanks,
    Jim

Media mail is supposed to be subject to inspection to avoid such abuses, but do you think the USPS really inspects mail unless there is a complaint?
    Last edited by Brian Elfert; 07-02-2010 at 8:58 AM. Reason: Removed redundant word

I suppose you are correct...what are the penalties if you get caught?

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim Barrett View Post
    I suppose you are correct...what are the penalties if you get caught?
    Free room and three meals a day?

jim
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Nah...probably a fine...$$...I live in a small town and they all know me at the PO...would be very embarassing ....plus it is not right! So all of you media mail violators...do the right thing!