Thread: Bottle stoppers

Bottle stoppers

I would like to make some bottle stoppers I use 1/2 dowels and add silicone ends from Rockler. I have used pin jaws on my stronghold chuck.
    I have been reading about collet chucks and they seem to make sense.
    There are different brands and systems available. Any input would be appreciated. Different holdind systems also welcome. I have 1 1/4 X8 spindle.
    THANK YOU IN ADVANCE

I have the Beall set and it is a great set. Penn State Industries has a set that is a little cheaper and I have read nothing but great things about it. I'd say no matter what you get make sure it uses E32 size collets. (hope I stated the correct size). This is the easiest size to get collets for.

Let me preface this by saying I don't own a collet system... With that said, it seems as though people with either the Beall system or PSI system are satisfied. If I were to purchase, I'd likely get the PSI system based on price. Extra collets can be purchased on eBay from what I understand, and I believe both systems use ER32 collets. A collet chuck system is on my list of things that I wish I had, but it hasn't percolated to the top of that list yet.

Let us know what you get and your impressions.

I believe the PSI set is 1x8 TPI which won't match up with your lathe.

For about the same money I bought a set from Woodcraft that uses the #2 MT. Good quality. I use it frequently.

Here's a link ..
    http://www.woodcraft.com/Product/200...-Set-2-MT.aspx

I also have the woodcraft on mentioned above, only problem with it is the collets are not ER32 size so you are pretty much limited to the sizes that come with that set. Please correct me if I am wrong.

Kevin - I have the Ruth Niles starter kit and it comes with everything you need for bottle stoppers - including a mandrel! HECK of a lot cheaper than buying another chuck! Check it out: http://www.torne-lignum.com/stoppers.html
    Steve

“You never know what you got til it's gone!”
    Please don’t let that happen!
    Become a financial Contributor today!

I use the same Ruth Niles system that Steve uses. You can buy stoppers, drill and mandrel a whole lot cheaper than a chuck. I also have the PSI set and use it on my Rikon or Jet since it is 1 X 8.
    Bernie

Never put off until tomorrow what you can do the day after tomorrow.

To succeed in life, you need three things: a wishbone, a backbone and a funnybone.

I have the Beall collet and I am very happy with it. I bought the chuck only and then bought a set of metric ER32 collets on eBay that range from 3mm to 22 or 23 mm. I bought the metric collets, because the standard (SAE) set that goes from 1/8"-3/4" skip a size or two and you can use the metric to grip standard sized materials.

Dave