Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678

Thread: A Twin-Screw Vise Revolution

I made a 2 spindle carving duplicator that I sold to Williamsburg before I retired, Too large for my space (King size bed size,I get too enthusiastic sometimes!!! Making a smaller,but nicer one). It had a heavy duty chain drive which I made out of surplus machine parts. I made sure that the idler was quite tight. There was NO play in it either. However,my chain was very heavy duty,and mounted on a thick steel plate.

Re the Lie-Nielsen twin screw vise, and Mike's comment about getting it aligned perfectly ...

It looks to me that because they have the cast flange under the thrust bearing on the handle side, but only the small flange of the bronze bushing on the other, that repeated tightening of this could lead to the bushing settling into the jaw thereby throwing it out of parallel over time. A flange for each screw would have been better, I think. Or at the least, having the holes in the nuts slotted would have allowed occasional adjustment.

Both good comments regarding the L-N vise, Wes. I would like to have seen your suggestions implemented.