Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Tools

I buy the best I can justify for the use I will get out of it.

As far as new/used, I buy new or used that is in like new condition only. For some reason my tools have to be pretty as well as functional..... it's an illness I know.

2. It depends on the item, I do get quite a bit of bosch stuff though and many of the large floor tools such as the table saw and drill press are old deltas, I will go with whatever suits my needs.

Blog Entries
    Grizzly TS & BS, Ryobi planer, Delta joiner, Ryobi 9" BS, other odd brands on other power tools - Craftsman, Skil, B&D, Protech, Freud, etc. I try to get the best tool for the money. I am upgrading some tools leading up to retirement and am buying "up" a little while I can still afford it. Looking at Bosch jigsaw, some type of small (laminate?) router. I've bought new and used. Will be looking at factory refurbs.

Good question:

Stationary: Delta - most bought 5-10 years ago; new and used. Because I can always get parts.
    Penn State - dust collection & acc. - would go with Oneida if second system needed.
    General (CA made) looks like the best traditional machinery though.

Portable:
    Fein: vacuums and 3HP router - good value
    Bosch, Makita, Porter-cable - shop & compare middle ground; Festool looks nice, but I can't justify premium.
    Senco, Hitchi - great nailers & compressors

I buy the tool not the manufacturer, however if the price is a wash there are some brands I prefer over others. If I had unlimited fund the majority of my tools would be PM, Festool and Felder but in most cases they are way past the point of diminishing returns compared to my expected usage.

Blog Entries
    I buy the tool and not the manufacturer also. But I must say I do maybe favor Powermatic and Delta though.

I try to read what tool reviews I can find. I noticed that FWW did a tool test a while back on shop air cleaners with JET being the overall winner.

JMHO, but I think the best way to buy tools is to buy used tools in near new condition and save maybe 40 to 50% on the price of a new one. Too bad for me that I fiqured this out on the last tool in my shop instead of the first.

My wife has been nice enough to give me our 2 car garage and a reasonable yearly budget on what I can spend in the shop. If I had to do it again I think I would try to have bought really nice tools used and saved some money.

Just my.02 cents.

PHM

End of the Oregon Trail in Oregon City, Oregon
    Wile E. Coyote, I think, buys the Acme brand exclusively, but, much as I admire the guy, I buy nearly everything EXCEPT Acme: Makita, Delta, Grizzly, Bosch, Porter-Cable. I also own some vintage Craftsman and Shopsmith tools.

Tools

Delta, Shop Fox, Grizzly, Rikon, Hitachi, Ryobi, Porter Cable, Jet, Performax, DeWalt, and formerly Craftsman. I buy used based on condition whenever possible and new based on percieved need and quality. I always try to buy the largest I need so I won't have to upgrade later. I seem to have more Jet large tools than any other. My tools vary in age from the 1930's to date. Works for a tool junky like me.
    Ron In Clanton, Alabama

Shoot amongst us boy, one of us has got to have some relief!

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Woodmark View Post
    When you purchase either stationary or hand tools, are you loyal to one brand or do you buy different brands and why?

Most my stuff is Delta/Porter Cable. I like the quality but I'm not married to them, I have other brands.

I also have DeWalt, General, Bosch, Makita and Festool. Too many different brands to name in the hand tool stuff.

Why? At the time each was bought, the factors of price, quality, function and availability played a roll. I start by checking out the offering(s) made by Delta when I want something big, but sometimes other brands simply offer (to me) a better value at that moment. Only once did I walk into the store with a specific machine in mind and nothing else was going to substitute for it.

They all have a shot at selling me what I want, but for me, Delta is usually at my sweet spot. but not always.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Will Overton View Post
    So far in my shop I'm loyal to Craftsman, Grizzly, Delta, Steel City, Ryobi, Jet, Bosch, Powermatic, Festool, Porter Cable and Milwaukee, with SawStop and DeWalt on order. I'm very loyal!
    Will, you are really going to have to get over this 'clinging to one brand' thing .
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

Delta Planer

On Friday got a new Delta 790 planer. Spent about 3 hours Friday night and 4 hours Saturday assembling. Sometimes you think to yourself what kind of idiot designed this thing. Then you realize that Delta engineers must not use their own equipment because some things are so easy to correct anyone could do it. Then spent another 5 hours trying to adjust the cutting. It still doesn't perform satisfactorily. I could go on but take my advice and don't buy this planer.

I don't have brands that I buy in particular, but there are some I won't buy... Craftsman, Jet, Shopsmith. I do favor Delta and Porter-Cable, but aren't exclusive to them.