Thread: How to make tapered octagon?

How to make tapered octagon?

Hey everyone! I need to make 2 taped octagons from solid stock. I will start with a solid blank about 24" long. One needs to taper from approx. 7/8" at the small end to approx. 1 1/8" at the large end. The other will taper from about 1 1/4" at the small end to approx. 1 1/2" ant the large end. (Does that make sense?) What's the best way to make an 8 sided taper? Thanks.

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthre...highlight=oars

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthre...highlight=oars

Simply make an 8-Siding Gage....adjust your measurements on one end and rescribe your tapers...and plane the corners to the lines.

“Perhaps then, you will say, ‘But where can one have a boat like that built today?’ And I will tell you that there are still some honest men who can sharpen a saw, plane, or adze...men (who) live and work in out of the way places, but that is lucky, for they can acquire materials for one third of city prices. Best, some of these gentlemen’s boatshops are in places where nothing but the occasional honk of a wild goose will distract them from their work.” -- L Francis Herreshoff

I am kind of afraid to explain how I did this .....not sure I will do a good job of making it...well....make sense.

I milled my stock to a little thicker then I needed it to be. On the end grain I drew out the octogon shape I needed. I then tapered the four outside demensions like I would regualr ole' table legs. At this point I made a sled that fit the profile of my stock at this point. It held the stock at such an angle that I simply slid it through the bandsaw and it cut the four other tapers for the octogon. I had to postion a make shift fence on my bandsaw at a slight angle to get the correct taper.

This worked very well for me!!!....I hope that it makes sense....if not I hope that someone can give you clearer/better idea....

Duh.

That 8-siding gage works on tapered stock too, now that I think of it.

So you can taper your square stock on the TS or jointer, use the 8-siding gage to lay out your octagon....and plane to the lines using jointer or hand plane.
    “Perhaps then, you will say, ‘But where can one have a boat like that built today?’ And I will tell you that there are still some honest men who can sharpen a saw, plane, or adze...men (who) live and work in out of the way places, but that is lucky, for they can acquire materials for one third of city prices. Best, some of these gentlemen’s boatshops are in places where nothing but the occasional honk of a wild goose will distract them from their work.” -- L Francis Herreshoff