Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Radial Arm Saw

Blog Entries

Radial Arm Saw

Have chop-saw out of box but have not used it yet - having second thoughts about it being able to replace the radial arm saw. I was use to the radial arm to cut 1x12's for my doll house basic design. Have not seen radial arm saws in stores or in of the major home improvement stores. Any one have comment about one or the other having more uses and versitility

Jack

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Burgess View Post
    Any one have comment about one or the other having more uses and versitility

Jack
    The RAS is more versatile. A chop saw does just that, and nothing more.
    A RAS can be used to mold, rout, rip, crosscut, the list goes on.
    Never, under any circumstances, consume a laxative and sleeping pill, on the same night

Radial Arm Saw

[QUOTE=Jack Burgess;... Any one have comment about one or the other having more uses and versitility

Jack[/QUOTE]
    There was a lengthy exchange of posts on this subject recently. I thought the thread was an excellent summary of opinions, many favoring the radial arm saw as still a very good tool to have and use. Check the "Search" routine.

I really like my radial arm saw, but I don't rip on it, and even though I have a molding head set for it, I don't do that either.

A big heavy-duty RAS is worth it's weight in gold! My Delta and Rockwell hold their settings perfectly. But chop saws are the thing to take on-site for finish work.
    [/SIGPIC]Necessisity is the Mother of Invention, But If it Ain't Broke don't Fix It !!

While the RAS & SCMS have the same basic functionality they are best used in different ways. As Chip points out the SCMS is portable and the best thing for on-site work. The SCMS is much easier to change angle for trim cuts – left 45 then right 45 then left 45… when framing doors & windows – it takes maybe a second or two to swing it from side to side but the RAS more like 30 seconds – crank blade up, swing the arm over, crank blade down to the right depth & if it is a new angle carefully lower it while running into the sacrificial top and through the fence. What a pain. On the other hand if you need to cut a truck load of 2x6’s the RAS rocks – leave it and the DC running, keep hands out of the way and just pull the saw – much easier than the often awkward motion of most CS & SCMS. Plus you need to cut a 2x12 or 4x8 you will find it easily done in a single pass on the RAS.

I have a 12” Delta RAS & SCMS & use both all the time - it just depends on what I am doing.

Quote Originally Posted by Erik Christensen View Post
    but the RAS more like 30 seconds – crank blade up, swing the arm over, crank blade down to the right depth & if it is a new angle carefully lower it while running into the sacrificial top and through the fence. What a pain.
    A RAS with a proper table requires none of that.
    You unlock the arm, swing it over, lock the arm.
    Why do you have to crank it up and down?

The table on a RAS is designed with the fence in front of the blade, with the carriage all the way to the column. There should be absolutely no need to adjust the height when changing angles.

Last edited by Myk Rian; 07-05-2010 at 10:26 AM.
    Never, under any circumstances, consume a laxative and sleeping pill, on the same night

I have a restored DeWalt MBF kind of like Myk's (ok, exactly like his except mine is green...). If you can find one of these (or a 925) and clean it up you should be very happy with it. No comparison to a contemporary RAS. I see MBCs and MBFs on CL here all the time from free to $100. Of course if you have the room and can find one of the bigger 12 or 14" round arm
    DeWalt saws, that's even better.

Quote Originally Posted by Myk Rian View Post
    A RAS with a proper table requires none of that.
    You unlock the arm, swing it over, lock the arm.
    Why do you have to crank it up and down?

The table on a RAS is designed with the fence in front of the blade, with the carriage all the way to the column. There should be absolutely no need to adjust the height when changing angles.

Because he doesn't have his table set up higher than his back boards.

Loren:

My saw has a separate ~ 3" wide main board that can go in front of the fence for long cuts or behind the fence for shorter cuts in taller stock (like a 4x4). I leave the saw set with the fence to the front as I cut tall stock more frequently that wide stock so the additional top board is behind the fence and as it is the same thickness as the front board the saw cannot swing without a height adjustment. I guess I could re-do the saw top so this was not a factor but I don't change angle on this often enough to make it worthwhile.

So sad Sears or Delta never mentioned the use of a RAS table thicker than the back board, as Myk has added. A Real Good Idea!

But...with 10" RASs (and smaller) width of cut is often an issue. There is much wasted space between that blade and the front of Myk's fence! For narrow stock, not a problem, but I always seemed to find very wide stuff to cut! I often moved the fence back with the blade still buried in it partially--just enough to clear 3/4" stock. That made it impossible to reset the blade for angled cuts without raising it above the fence. It's always something!
    [/SIGPIC]Necessisity is the Mother of Invention, But If it Ain't Broke don't Fix It !!

Blog Entries
    If you are cross cutting pieces of that size, I would use a table saw sled and spend the money on wood. I have not fired up my CMS in a couple of years.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

I have both, and use them regularly. RAS has applications not suited to the CMS.
    Bill
    On the other hand, I still have five fingers.

A RAS can certainly do many tasks that a CSMS can not. The key is whether those are tasks you need. If all you are doing is crosscutting 1x12s then a quality CSMS will do a fine job and take up far less room. Depending on what else you did with your RAS determines whether the CSMS can duplicate its work.

To me this is like asking "Should I buy a tri axel dump truck or a Ford Ranger, I need to haul rocks....". Well, how many rocks, how big, how often, how quickly must you be finished. A good RAS will cut large stock effortlessly that would all but kill your chop saw or skill saw. 10/4 rough hard maple for leg blanks? I'll take the RAS thanks.

Something about a 2-3HP induction motor that beats a 12A vacuum cleaner motor hands down for hard labor in thick hard woods. But if you have a long windy road to work, I'd get the Ranger. Or, if you have to hang a room house full of crown, I'd get the SCMS, because the RAS while theoretically capable of doing the job, is in reality a bear to set up at compound angles and return to dead square while the SCMS was built for it.

Fact is both have their strengths. Question is which best suits our needs, and for that more information is necessary.