Thread: No. 80 replacement blades?

No. 80 replacement blades?

While on vacation this week I picked up a Stanley No. 80 cabinet scraper in nice condition. There is still enough usable length on the blade for a number of resharpenings, but I might pick up another blade or two so I can sharpen more than one at a time. The original blade is 3/64" (about 0.047")

So the choices I see are: (1) Hock, which is most expensive ($20+) but thicker than the other choices (1/16"). Hardness is unspecified.

(2) the LV replacement blades for their cabinet scraper, which are rather inexpensive ($5), but thickness and hardness are not specified.

(3) cutting down a 1 mm thick card scraper, which is a few mils thinner than the stock blade. The LV card scrapers are RC 48 - 52. This is even cheaper (you get two blades from one card scraper) but it's more work.

So I guess it comes down to price and thickness. Does a thicker blade make much difference in performance in a cabinet scraper? If thickness doesn't matter all that much, I would probably just go with the LV even though the thickness is unspecified. However, maybe someone has one they can measure for me.

Any advise would be much appreciated!

Jim S.

Grand Marais, MN. A transplant from Minneapolis
    Very happy with my LV blades.
    Found a never use 80 about 5 years ago bought 2 LV blades and alternate one to the other. Holds a good edge. Usually touch
    them up before each project.
    TJH
    Live Like You Mean It.

http://www.northhouse.org/

I got a Hock replacement

for my # 80 when I bought it and the new blade turned the scraper into an entirely different, and much more effective tool. A very worthwhile investment. HTH
    Tony

You can also cut one, or several, out of a used up handsaw.

Blog Entries
    I didn't measure it, but I'm very happy with the LV blade. Seems to keep a burr very well.

Highland Woodworking sells a Stanley #80 replacement blade for $5.99. I bought a #80 recently without a blade and picked up one of these as a replacement...unfortunately, I haven't sharpened and used it yet so I can't comment!

like tony i got the hock replacement when i bought my # 80. stays sharp and i can really take down some material with it. highland woodworking sells them both.

blade update

Thanks for the feedback, guys. I ordered the Lee Valley blade and just got it today. It's 3/64" thick, exactly the same as the Stanley blade. The back isn't as smooth as the other LV blades I own, but the machining marks are light & I don't think it will take more than 10 minutes to get it ready.

I would like to sharpen it up and report how it works, but unfortunately my house got hit by lightning on Friday and we had a fire. We're thankful it wasn't a lot worse. One room will have to be demolished to the studs and there was some smoke and water damage in other rooms. Some water made it down to the basement and poured onto my 1957 Dewalt radial arm saw, but no hand tools were affected. Anyway, probably not much shop time in the next couple weeks....

Jim

9. I made a blade for mine from an old, thick non-carbide tipped circular saw blade. works great for taming chatter.

I picked up a "naked" #80 also a number of years ago. The first blade I made was a thick A2 blade. The blade in the #80 after I wasn't satisfied with the first was simply a piece of a discarded handsaw blade. Now the scraper works like Stanley intended.

So..........either cut down an existing card scraper or cut a piece out of a discarded saw.

T.Z.

Quote Originally Posted by bridger berdel View Post
    I made a blade for mine from an old, thick non-carbide tipped circular saw blade. works great for taming chatter.
    I have about 8 of those. Maybe worth a try!

Jim