Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Noden Inlay Razor’s

Looks like an interesting tool to me, in fact I've ordered one. There seems to be a big deal made over the razor blade jigs. Looks simple enough, sandwich a blade between 2 pieces of wood and cut. I've spent a lot more time on making jigs that do far less refined work . As far as my uses for it go, I see it as complementing my BCTW Jointmaker in making banding for boxes and possibly some detail inlay on furniture.
    Have a Good One,
    Brent

SPCHT

Quote Originally Posted by Charles Bender View Post

Jeff, mind if I stop by and join you for some of that popcorn?
    C'mon over. We gots choices. Buttery, cheesy, bent, traditional.

Re:Fine Woodworking; one thing that really annoys me is some of the ridiculously bad furniture that they post from their readers. Bad tools,too,sometimes.

Having something in FW really means nothing,though I don't mean to say that in a mean spirited sort of way. Does make me wonder about the taste of some of their staff.

George,

It isn't limited to FWW, just look at some of the stuff that Wendell Castle has attached his name to.

Quote Originally Posted by george wilson View Post
    Re:Fine Woodworking;...Bad tools,too,sometimes.
    Thankfully they haven't reviewed/endorsed Geoffrey's Inlay Razor...
    Chuck Bender -
    acanthus.com
    Period Furniture Maker - Woodworking Mentor

I worked along side Wendell when I taught at Penland Craft school in 1968 and 1969. He was pretty arrogant. Those "hang from the ceiling" tables and chairs that look like roots were VERY heavy. He was in trouble when 1 he installed pulled down his client's whole ceiling!!

Hey guys I don’t think you should be so hard on Chuck Bender’s blog like he stated it’s just an introduction to the tool. It was not put out by the Inlay Razor tool company. Many blogs are put out there with just the intentions of posting information and not meant to win an Oscar. As for the tool the more I look at it the more I like it.

[QUOTE=Brent Smith;1463224]Looks like an interesting tool to me, in fact I've ordered one.

Brent when you get the tool in hand and use it some please post your thought/findings. I think it will be informative to see what you think.

Thanks Richard
    Richard Poitras
    Central, Michigan....
    01-02-2006

Looked good to me

I saw the owner demonstrating the device at Frank Klaus' workshop during the most recent LN hand tool show. He was cranking out pieces of inlay extremely quickly. He had several sample blanks that he had created and also bowls with inlaid rims. They were pretty cool.
    The blades looked like a no-brainer to make. My 2 cents.
    Ron Conlon

Quote Originally Posted by richard poitras View Post

Brent when you get the tool in hand and use it some please post your thought/findings. I think it will be informative to see what you think.

Thanks Richard
    Will do Richard. Hopefully I'll have it in the next week or two. Geoffrey is waiting on some parts and then there is Canada Customs to wait on .
    Have a Good One,
    Brent

SPCHT

Quote Originally Posted by Brent Smith View Post
    Will do Richard. Hopefully I'll have it in the next week or two. Geoffrey is waiting on some parts and then there is Canada Customs to wait on .
    Brent I look forward to your review / thoughts.

Richard
    Last edited by richard poitras; 07-12-2010 at 10:37 AM.
    Richard Poitras
    Central, Michigan....
    01-02-2006

Originally Posted by richard poitras

Thanks Richard

<><><><><><>><<><><><><><><><><>

SPCHT

<><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><>

Brent did you ever get the Noden Inlay Razor.? If so did you have any time to check it out? Just wondering what your thoughts were? I know in this month's Popular Woodworking Magazine, Glen Huey did a one page review of the tool.

Thanks Richard
    Richard Poitras
    Central, Michigan....
    01-02-2006

The vid was a little long but informative if you watched it all . I am interested in seeing more and a few reviews on this tool . Thanks for getting the info . out there Chuck .

I believe it had a very good review in Pop Woodworking or FWW last month. I can't remember which.

P.S. No offense, but that video was too painful to watch. So many tool videos fail to get across the needed information.

Hi Richard,
    My apologies, I forgot about this thread. Yes I received it last week. I've only had time to play around a bit with it. Hopefully this coming weekend I will be putting it to use on a box I'm making. Initial opinion is that it is a well made tool. It is heavier than pics make it look. I made a couple of blade holding jigs, nothing to it. Two were fairly conservative, but the third had a too acute angle and the blade wouldn't bend to fit. The tool is designed to cut end grain, but I also played around a bit with some veneer and it did a stellar job with it. You're literally ready to go right out of the box. It includes an instructional DVD, a few jigs with blades, a wood channel and even a few pieces of wood to practise with. The only thing you need supply is a C clamp or 2.
    I'll post again after the weekend with a bit more info.
    Have a Good One,
    Brent

SPCHT

Quote Originally Posted by Brent Smith View Post
    Hi Richard,
    My apologies, I forgot about this thread. Yes I received it last week. I've only had time to play around a bit with it. Hopefully this coming weekend I will be putting it to use on a box I'm making. Initial opinion is that it is a well made tool. It is heavier than pics make it look. I made a couple of blade holding jigs, nothing to it. Two were fairly conservative, but the third had a too acute angle and the blade wouldn't bend to fit. The tool is designed to cut end grain, but I also played around a bit with some veneer and it did a stellar job with it. You're literally ready to go right out of the box. It includes an instructional DVD, a few jigs with blades, a wood channel and even a few pieces of wood to practise with. The only thing you need supply is a C clamp or 2.
    I'll post again after the weekend with a bit more info.
    Brent, no big deal about the thread I forget stuff all the time . I look forward to reading what you might have to say about it after you spend some time with it. Don’t rush on my part. One question I have now, is the DVD pretty informative about making the different pattern lay outs? And how long is the DVD in play time? Also I am glad to hear about it cutting veneer well. That is something I was thinking about using it for as well if I got one.

Thanks Richard
    Richard Poitras
    Central, Michigan....
    01-02-2006