Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Noden Inlay Razor’s

Noden Inlay Razor’s

Anyone try or have one of the new Noden Inlay Razor’s yet if so what are your thoughts? /Review?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BnOuOyArs5s

inlayrazor.com

Richard
    Last edited by Keith Outten; 08-05-2010 at 7:06 AM.
    Richard Poitras
    Central, Michigan....
    01-02-2006

I can't stand to sit through the LOOOOOONG rambling video. UGLY chair,too. I also wonder how many pieces of "S" or other odd shapes you can get out of 1 razor blade before it poops out. There will be MANY when making up strips of inlay banding. Then,can the average woodworker manage to BEND the replacement into EXACTLY the same shape as the original? If not,the banding won't look nice.
    Last edited by george wilson; 07-07-2010 at 12:50 PM.

I had not seen it before, interesting. I agree with George in that the video was almost painful to watch and I didn't feel like he gave me what I wanted, forget ebonizing cherry explain your doohicky! I had the same issue as George regarding the blades, may have helped if he had shown the blade process as it might be repeatable, actually it probably is but I need to see it!

BTW thanks for the post it might be something I would consider if I get some end-user feedback, though not exactly what I would call an impulse buy...

Quote Originally Posted by george wilson View Post
    I can't stand to sit through the LOOOOOONG rambling video. UGLY chair,too. I also wonder how many pieces of "S" or other odd shapes you can get out of 1 razor blade before it poops out. There will be MANY when making up strips of inlay banding. Then,can the average woodworker manage to BEND the replacement into EXACTLY the same shape as the original? If not,the banding won't look nice.

Finally,I'm not being nice,but I'm having trouble wondering if this guy is really GABBY HAYES !
    I'm a little surprised at the overall tone of this post. I'm not the best looking guy in any lineup, but I've sold some significant $$ of stuff to people over the years and they've been happy, regardless of my looks. And, I've sat in some ugly chairs doing it, too. :-)

Yes, the video production is a low budget thing. Makes the BCTW videos look great, because they are.

On the question of getting repeatable bends in razor blades, is the answer not obvious to a denizen of this forum? Use a jig!
    Last edited by Owen E Wheeler; 07-07-2010 at 8:48 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Owen E Wheeler View Post
    I'm a little surprised at the overall tone of this post. I'm not the best looking guy in any lineup, but I've sold some significant $$ of stuff to people over the years and they've been happy, regardless of my looks. And, I've sat in some ugly chairs doing it, too. :-)

Yes, the video production is a low budget thing. Makes the BTCW videos look great, because they are.

On the question of getting repeatable bends in razor blades, is the answer not obvious to a denizen of this forum? Use a jig!
    No, it's not obvious, show the jig that you use. and... Nobody said Gabby Hayes isn't good looking.

Less talk, more tool. A picture speaks a thousand words, and a good 2-3 minute demo showing the process from beginning to end (with close-ups of the tools in use and materials) will give everyone watching the 'Ah-Ha' moment you need to get to in order to make a sale. I couldn't make it through the talk-fest. Is the product ever shown in use in detail before the end?

Think about it... cooking shows don't just talk about cooking. They cook and show us what's going on inside the pot. A roast is completely prepared before the first commercial.

Good luck with this... I think it's kinda cool.
    "I love the smell of sawdust in the morning".
    Robert Duval in "Apileachips Now". - almost.

Laserpro Spirit 60W laser, Corel X3
    Missionfurnishings, Mitchell Andrus Studios, NC

It was more your demeanor than your looks,Owen. Sorry,I was being a bit smack_ . Anyway,the video was long,and not very informative,and I'll admit I was tired. Others seem to agree,though,about the length and lack of information in the video. In one place,you finally picked up the inlay and presented it to the camera,but before the camera could get zoomed in on it,you laid it back down. I didn't get much further.

You don't have to have a high budget video to make a good,entertaining presentation. I know this from having been involved in several films over the years I was in Williamsburg. you do have to be careful what the camera can see.

So,how many pieces of the S shaped cut pieces are there in a piece of 3' inlay banding,and how many will the razor cut before it has to be replaced? I am also assuming( because I couldn't make it through the long video),that you are using end grain cut pieces?

I could repeat the blade bending,but I am an experienced tool maker. I wondered if a more novice woodworker could do it accurately.
    Last edited by Keith Outten; 08-05-2010 at 6:49 AM.

For a shorter video showing the tool in action, go to the website and look for the Popular Woodworking video.
    Pretty neat tool. Limited number of cutter profiles, though.
    Gene
    Life is too short for cheap tools
    GH

I don't see $200 as an "implulse" purchase...
    As for the blades - if I am supposed to fabricate them myself - after using the examples you provide, the little blade bending jig should be included for the $250 asking price!

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Kolbe View Post
    I don't see $200 as an "implulse" purchase...
    As for the blades - if I am supposed to fabricate them myself - after using the examples you provide, the little blade bending jig should be included for the $250 asking price!
    From what I can tell by looking at his site is that you make the wood jigs on a band saw to the shape you want and when the blade gets dull you just put a new blade in the two piece wood jig and squeeze it together and insert it back into the swing arm. At that point you would have the same shape every time. I know it said also that it comes with 4 wood jigs for 4 different cuts and the video he sends with the system explains how to make different jig profiles.
    Just for the record this guy is the same guy that makes the Noden A-Just-A -Bench that has high ratings. (But just because you make one good tool does not mean the next thing you produce is a home run?) Anyway it just looked like something different and I thought someone may have one to give a review on.

Richard
    Richard Poitras
    Central, Michigan....
    01-02-2006

If the jigs for the 4 included blades is included as well (THAT sounds confusing...), then I retract my statement!

It does look like a neat idea, but it still seems a bit pricey to me... but hey, that's just me!

You guys are tough!

The intention of the video was not to give you a tutorial but a simple introduction. We shot the video in his shop with just a single camera, no sound and no lights. It was meant as a post on my blog. The idea was to inform the readers of my blog that the tool would be coming on the market shortly. We took raw footage and stitched it together as best we could given the intent. It was not meant to be a polished production and, by the tone of the comments here, it at least achieved that goal.

For the record, I am not affiated with the Noden Inlay Razor but I do think it's a great new tool.

George, while Geoffrey's chair is not my style Fine Woodworking saw fit to include it in one of their Design Books. He also sold a set of ten to a customer which means someone loves the chair.

For those who are interested, I've seen Geoffrey cut hundreds of pieces of inlay with a single razor before it "poops out". The razors remain functional for varying periods of time based on the wood being cut and several other factors.

It's extremely easy to make the bent razor blades. One merely needs to make a pattern that can be traced onto multiple blocks. If you are reasonably accurate with a scrollsaw or bandsaw, you can make many duplicate blanks. The razor blades are then sandwiched between the two sections of the sawn blocks thus bending them to the desired shape.

The tool comes with 4 premade cutting blocks and a video that explains how to make more as well the process for making a few specific inlays. The great thing about the tool is that you can create virtually any shape you want. You are limited by how far you can bend the razor blade but it still provides a wide variety of profiles. Once you understand the process, you can set the tool up and make hundreds of pieces in a very short period of time.

I think that the Inlay Razor would be of particular interest to musical instrument makers and bowl turners because of the uniqueness of the inlays that can be created. For a period furniture maker like myself, it is just a fun tool to use if I'm making something that is not a direct reproduction of a particular piece.

I can't speak for this particular product, but I have his Adjust-A-Bench and have been to his shop and seen his own incredible woodworking. I have no doubt that he's put some good thought in to the Inlay Razor based on that...so it will be interesting to see how it does in the marketplace.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

It strikes me as a gamy waste of money. One is, I should think, way far better off learning how to use the conventional tools: knives, chisels, gouges etc. Hell, making one's own chisels would be a far, far better use of energy than making itty bitty razors.

Hmmm. Time for some popcorn and a milkshake.

Quote Originally Posted by Cliff Rohrabacher View Post
    It strikes me as a gamy waste of money. One is, I should think, way far better off learning how to use the conventional tools: knives, chisels, gouges etc. Hell, making one's own chisels would be a far, far better use of energy than making itty bitty razors.

Look folks, it takes seconds to cut out the blank for one of the bent razors. I'm an extremely traditional woodworker yet I can see the value and innovation of this tool. The vast majority of my inlays are still made in the traditional way. The main advantage to the Noden Inlay Razor is it's simple to use. For those of you who don't have massive amounts of experience making inlay bandings, this is an easy, fun, productive tool to get you going. For those who have lots of experience making bandings using traditional methods, this is yet another tool in your arsenal. I'll bet if you look around your shop, you've probably spent more money on far less useful tools than a Razor.

Jeff, mind if I stop by and join you for some of that popcorn?