Thread: Mammoth & Walrus Ivory

Mammoth & Walrus Ivory

I was in Alaska last week visiting my brother in Anchorage. As it turns out there is lots of Mammoth Ivory and Walrus ivory. Even though it is fossilized it is still soft enough to work. Saw some beautiful carvings. S I couldn't help myself and came came back with some Walrus teeth size of my 1/2" to 1" diameter and 2"-3" long. I thought I might try turning some small finials for Christmas tree or the likes....when I have some time.

Anyone else rever try this???

Never tried it, but I've seen some small threaded boxes turned from prehistoric mammoth and walrus ivory. I imagine it would be very similar to turning deer antler, but harder. Make something special for sure!!

What, no oosik?

Edward

I am assuming from your openness that there is no restrictions on buying and selling this ivory? Do you know of any sources?

I haven't actually checked, but I doubt there are restrictions on mammoth ivory, considering they went extinct during the last ice age. This is not elephant ivory being discussed. Native American tribes have been carving on tusks for tens of thousands of years. There are laws about hunting walrus, but I think Edward is talking about fossilized material.

I've done a fair amount of work with ivory with our Nantucket basketry business. Mostly knobs and medallions later to be carved or sent to a scrimshander to embellish.

We use only antique ivory (old cribbage boards, teeth, broken scrimshaw pieces that are 100 years old or better and well documented) usually found in antique shops/ estate sales etc.
    The Marine Mammal Protection Act of 1972 made the trade of ivory from whales, walrus, elephants and hippos (although some of that came a few years later) illegal. I refuse to purchase any ivory without it coming from a known source and with documentation proving it's provenance, much in the way responsible turners using exotic hardwoods should verify the source and legality of their purchases.

This however, does not pertain to antique ivory which with proper documentation is perfectly legal to purchase.

It'll turn like a cross between good holly and ebony in density. I'd wear a mask as it's not healthy to be breathing the dust and it smells like bone being cut. (or that smoke from your mouth at the dentist office) It is apt to be brittle when worked into a finial so care should be used when chucking. I've found a waste block CA glued onto either end for your chucking method of choice and live center eliminates splitting that can happen during turning.